Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got my oldest find yet with the M6 last week.

Well about a week ago I went hunting with a buddy who really has a nack for the past. We went up to an old mining town that has been around since the 1860s. No old coins were to be found that day. But I did find my oldest find which was to me just as nice as finding an old coin. At first we thought it to be maybe some kind of lid. But after a little reseach I found that it is a part of a buckle tongue from around 1855.

I was using the M6 with the 6X10 eclipse that works well in the rough California soil.

Here is a pic:
Taussiq.jpg

Below is the information I found about it curtesy of treasurenet:
"William Taussig & Co. was listed in 1850 as a New York purse manufacturer. By 1852 Taussig had begun producing a wide range of leather goods for both the military and the California gold rush trade: belts, gloves, holsters, money belts, gold bags, etc. In order to capitalize on the new Western market, the firm opened a branch in San Francisco. A new partnership resulted in Taussig, Pollack & Co. in 1855, and the following year they became Pollack Bros., "importers of fancy goods and watches."

Here is a pic of one they have found:
200410.image1big.jpg

WTG Steven,

That's a great relic from the gold rush era, If only that buckle could share a story or two.

Too bad the heat done us in, Who knows what else would have surfaced....Next time, We'll need to start detecting by day break to beat the heat. That hill top we hunted has to have more seated and relics waiting for us.

This is the beginning of what's in store for you in the coming months ahead, Plus, You and the M6 preformed well as a team.

Congrats good buddy, See you soon :)
Paul (Ca)

Thanks for the reply Paul. Its neat to think about relics this old when you find them. It really gets you thinking about the past. Just imagine some guy around 1855 was probably pretty irritated that his belt had broke.