Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out before the Big Freeze

Va Dave

Some Gardners and Round balls and managed a 69 cal. The button I'm not sure about...cuff sized 1 piece, lined field, 5 pointed star in center surrounded by 17 stars...I'm thinking Maine Militia or some kind of Patriotic, anyone know ? Actually lol, not quite sure about the lead stopper looking thingy either.

Thanks for looking and Good Luck in your Digs,

Va Dave

[attachment 18444 DSC01494.JPG][attachment 18445 DSC01498.JPG][attachment 18446 DSC01495.JPG]

I was thinking the stopper piece might be a tompion also, can you measure it? would be interested in seeing its dia.

HH
John

It may also be a "cork" for a canteen or bottle.....try to post measurements...we may be able to get better ideas.....
HH

If you can measure the diameter, it could be a Tampion (not tompion). The word tampion means "to plug a hole." The large finial at the top is similar to several styles of wooden tampions I have seen. However, it is possible its intended use was for a canteen. Your one piece button is most likely 1830s or earlier. Could be a UK Militia button brought over by the many immigrants. It will be interesting if it can be ID'd. Good hunting, David @ Dixie

Hi,

Is the star on your button raised? The photo is hard to make out, it's a little blurry. Can you take another photo? Could be Maine, Mississippi, Texas...

Ma Diggins