Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out for a couple days of hunting....

conehead

Hello Everyone.......I got out to hunt part of an 1861 battlefield last week, found some lead items a pocket knife a button and and something I did not expect to find but was glad to add it to my collection.
Was hunting an area near where the road was during the war, this road was moved after the war and the original area is now some one's yard. I was using my Makro red Racer with standard 7 X 11" coil.
Here's a picture of my surprise find, was about 10" deep. As found, then in Electrolysis bath , after Electrolysis, and how it looks now with the other finds from that hunt.
Happy hunting.......conehead

Superb hunt and finds. It turned out really nice. Thats what its all about. CCH

Very nice finds buddy.

Hello Everyone....I feel like I have been blessed with a good site to do my relic hunting, over the years from just this battlefield I've found 11 complete artillery shells or cannon balls, 9 in the last 4 years.
I'm not sure how many pounds of shrapnel I've carried out over the years and sometimes I'd leave some of it behind because I'd found so much. I love to dig artillery, and I've done a lot of research to find
the artillery positions and to research what these positions were firing at. Google earth, map overlays, satellite photos and a hand held GPS unit have been a big factor in the bulk of my latest recoveries.
I'm still learning how to best use these new technologies to help me as a relic hunter find things, I'll say that I wound not have found some of these artillery shells without Google earth & a GPS.
I'll go on to say that a civil war rifled cannon has the range to lob these shells clear out of the known battlefield. That's where the GPS comes in.
Happy hunting..........conehead

conehead said:
Hello Everyone....I feel like I have been blessed with a good site to do my relic hunting, over the years from just this battlefield I've found 11 complete artillery shells or cannon balls, 9 in the last 4 years.
I'm not sure how many pounds of shrapnel I've carried out over the years and sometimes I'd leave some of it behind because I'd found so much. I love to dig artillery, and I've done a lot of research to find
the artillery positions and to research what these positions were firing at. Google earth, map overlays, satellite photos and a hand held GPS unit have been a big factor in the bulk of my latest recoveries.
I'm still learning how to best use these new technologies to help me as a relic hunter find things, I'll say that I wound not have found some of these artillery shells without Google earth & a GPS.
I'll go on to say that a civil war rifled cannon has the range to lob these shells clear out of the known battlefield. That's where the GPS comes in.
Happy hunting..........conehead
Are you saying that the guns had more range that the charts you posted? I know if they were in a hill they could shoot further.

Hello Digger70pa........What I have learned about the battlefield where I do most of my hunting is the Union cannon firing positions were lower in elevation than the Confederate positions.
The Confederates held the high ground and for the most part the Union artillery was firing up hill. I have been finding 10 lb. Parrott shells that flew over their intended targets and landed as much as 7 tenths of
a mile beyond the target area. Looking at the differences in elevation between known artillery positions may lead to new discoveries beyond the known battlefield. Using the tools on Google earth & satellite images
I was able to map out some of the artillery shells "flight paths" and follow those paths using my hand held GPS. It's been a learning experience for me and I have made some good finds from a heavily hunted battle site.
The shells that were poorly aimed just didn't stop flying once they were overhead of their target, they kept going, impacting with the ground a long ways down range.
I found the 2 Parrott shells in the photo below using GPS and following their "flight path".

conehead said:
Hello Digger70pa........What I have learned about the battlefield where I do most of my hunting is the Union cannon firing positions were lower in elevation than the Confederate positions.
The Confederates held the high ground and for the most part the Union artillery was firing up hill. I have been finding 10 lb. Parrott shells that flew over their intended targets and landed as much as 7 tenths of
a mile beyond the target area. Looking at the differences in elevation between known artillery positions may lead to new discoveries beyond the known battlefield. Using the tools on Google earth & satellite images
I was able to map out some of the artillery shells "flight paths" and follow those paths using my hand held GPS. It's been a learning experience for me and I have made some good finds from a heavily hunted battle site.
The shells that were poorly aimed just didn't stop flying once they were overhead of their target, they kept going, impacting with the ground a long ways down range.
I found the 2 Parrott shells in the photo below using GPS and following their "flight path".
Man those are some really nice finds. Thanks for the info & technique.

Good info conehead. Nice finds.

Unexploded case shot shells will normally be found at the greatest distance from the intended target as they were fired OVER the target to get the maximum dispersion of the case shot,usually 69 cal balls.

Hello Everyone......Like I said in an earlier post, I feel blessed to be finding these things from a heavily hunted battle site, it was hunted hard for years before I got started hunting there.
I can only imagine what it must have been like for the first relic hunters to get in there and metal detect.......it must have been really something....."pay dirt" kind of hunting.
I'm using some modern technologies to help me get the left overs, things that have been missed by the earlier group of relic hunters. I love Civil War relic hunting, when you find something
your holding history right there in your hands. Ole' if I only had a time machine.....I'd be gone.................here's a picture of some of my battlefield finds........I'm blessed to have found.
Happy hunting.........conehead