Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

got out for a few hours today

mdholedigger

went out with my diggin friends ma and pa,

got some cool finds........the only problem is i am pretty sure that our finds are from a reenactment that had taken place on this site about 10 years ago.......i really really want my finds to be true cw but i just don't think the quality is there.......fun day none the less....thanks for having me ma and pa looking foward to our next outing......

Mdholedigger,

We had a good time today. Glad you did, too. Of course, we hope everything is period cw as well.
I know the thing I found is a irish brigade hat insignia, aka "irish harp" and it looks older.
We'll get out in a different area next time, it will produce. :blowup: I feel it.
Call us in the a.m. or we'll call you.
btw - those coins look to be a rare find! ;)

Ma diggins

Mdholedigger wrote:
"got some cool finds........the only problem is i am pretty sure that our finds are from a reenactment that had taken place on this site about 10 years ago.......i really really want my finds to be true cw but i just don't think the quality is there."

I dislike having to give bad news to good people (which you are)...

But your guess is correct. Both of your shiny buttons are reproductions worn by the re-enactors.

One key clue is your C button's mostly-rusty iron back with a little of its thin "brassy" plating left. Here's the other key clue about it's identity:

The original civil-war button which yours more-or-less copies is in Albert's button book, listed as button CS-127, and called a "Lined C" Confederate Cavalry button. It's similar to CS-126, which doesn't have lines in the letter. But note the shape of the "tails" of the letter C ... square-ended on the "lined" C, and sharp-pointed on the non-lined C.

Again, I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news. So I'll promise you that there are genuine ones out there waiting for you to dig 'em.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy (Pete George)

thanks for confirming what i had already suspected.......cannonballguy..... i'm ok with them being reenactment pieces they will be a nice conversation piece to add to my little but growing collection....

Hey Digger.

Well that's crappy. :rage: I really thought you had something there. I just found that backmark (Waterbury Co's INC Conn) in the Tice button book - it says that it's post World War II.

Seems that you don't want to see "INC" on a CW button - a dead giveaway that it's a repro.

But, my infantry button is the real deal so that means we're in the right spot, ya know!?

Maybe the next find will be the biggun'

See ya in the field

Pa Diggins