Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got some gold yesterday!

gear box

I went back to the park where I got the Barber quarter a few day's ago. I got a 1893 Indianhead and some wheats. But the best find was a solid gold band. It rang in a solid 180 but the tone was substantially lower than any other 180's I've dug. It didn't sound like clad or silver but was too solid not to dig it. I'm glad I did. It's marked My-Ngoc 1 .9999 and was only a couple inches deep. I googled it and there is a jewelery company by that name.
Good luck Gary

:thumbup: Great find, and wierd to hear the tone was lower but the ID was 180? Anybody experience this? Are the tones somewhat disconnected in pitch to the conductivity scale of the meter so they can detach like that from each other on rare occasions? Maybe you were hearing the "hollowness" of it and the pitch was the same, but it had a more "warm" and "smooth" kind of "hole in the center" type of sound to it? Like hearing a sound through a barrel or something? Ideas anybody?

Critter,thats been in the back of my mind also. I haven't got much experience finding gold with the Sovereign but when I got it yesterday my first thought it must be mostly silver with some gold plating in order to ID at 180. I've also found a silver dime or two that rang up 180 but the tone was lower than normal. Doesn't gold have a lower tone? But the ring is pretty heavy for its size and the markings indicate gold (I think). I just looked at it again and it say's 99.99 not .9999 like I said earlier. And there isn't something saying 14k or anything like that. There are some scratches on it and it's still yellow undernieth. Do you think if I air tested it, it would read the same as it did in the ground? I suppose I could of made a mistake and not payed enough attention.
Good luck Gary

I'd ask in the beach forum as they are experts on ring labels in that forum. Far as the lower tone thing, I really don't think it's possible for the tone to be lower while the ID is the same. I think the audio/VDI are both based on a static conductivity reading of the target, so if it conducts high enough to be a 180 # then the tone pitch will also be outputting that way. But, not saying you didn't hear a distinctly different tone from it due to it's smoothness, warmness, softness, "roundness", etc. These BBS machines have the best audio details on the planet IMO and *most* gold sounds distinctly different from many forms of trash. Sure they overlap each other in audio qualities, but there is a generalization here and distinctness that separates many of them.

A gold ring can read as high as 180 due to the silver or copper or such they mix with it. Even the same K rings can have very different other metals mixed with the gold to change the conductivity I think. White gold for instance has I think nickle in it, which will make it read lower than you would suspect.

Again, great find...

Gary if the ring is marked 99.99 you have a ring that is pure gold most likely 22K to 24K !!! here is a chart you can look a how many grams does it weigh ? NICE FIND !! :super: Jim

The most common millesimal finenesses and their karat equivalent in hallmarking gold items are as follows:

a. 999.99 = 99.999% pure gold.
b. 999.9 = 99.99% pure gold.
c. 999 = 99.9% pure gold. Equivalent to 24k gold. Also known as

Thanks guy's for the input and Jim thanks for the chart, i'm gonna print that for future reference. I'm gonna air test it again just to check the tone and number to see what I really did see and hear.
Good luck Gary

When I went to Michigan, someone had some Black Hills gold - I checked it out with the GT. It sounded good. But the gold looks a little different than most gold. From what she said, that has to do with where the gold came from. But it was pure gold as well. Since it's not marked 24k, or what-not, it probably predates standard makings.