Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got the new F44

Good service, price, and delivery from Craig at Show Me Treasure. The F44's build quality is excellent; as good as any of the Fisher higher level machines. It's light and well balanced. The jewelry mode seems to be the most sensitive and has better and more stable audio. It air tests a dime at 9 inches at full sensitivity in any mode except all metal, where you can hear it at 10 inches. In my test garden it will hit a dime at 7 inches, but not an 8 or 9 inch dime. Most machines won't in my ground. Not the Racer or F19 either. The battery compartment is a neat feature. It has an O ring to keep moisture from getting in. It runs on two AA batteries and is supposed to get about 25 hours. The volume control is just like the F19 where you can adjust the iron audio level. Great feature. I don't think the F44 is quite up to the Omega, but I haven't tested the biaxial coil on it yet. The new style coil seems well constructed. You won't break an ear off one of these. I got this machine because I wanted to hunt in shallow creeks where if it gets splashed, it won't be fried. I don't think I'd hesitate to relic hunt with it, but it doesn't seem to have the recovery of the top end machines. Maybe with the 5 inch coil it would do fine, but I haven't tried that yet. Fisher sends an extra O ring with the machine to use on the coil or the battery compartment. Well that's my short write up after playing with the F44 for about an hour. I'll try to report back after I get some time on it. I'd say it's a lot of the machine for the money.

I'd say that's pretty accurate. The 11" DD seemed to get the same depth in mild ground anyway. The 9" on the F22 is quite a bit smaller. about the same as comparing the 11" DD to the 10" stock coil on the F5. The 11" is closer to 12" and the 9" is barely that. Almost 3" different. BUT these coils are very affordable and can open some doors on many machines. The 7" only gets an inch less on air test.

What is your ground reading for your area?

Are you saying the recovery "rate" is a little "slower" than higher end machines? I know my F2, QDP and LRP seem pretty fast, enough to PP with easily.

The F44 is easily as fast as the F2, but not as fast as the F19. Not many machines are as fast as the F19. My ground balance comes in in the high 70's to low 80's, with 3-4 bars on the Fe scale. Northern Virginia ground is worse than Culpeper, and the ground at our farm in the Shenandoah Valley is the worst I've seen. It will never be hunted out though.

My dirt is 54 no bar to 64 2 bar around here. Many places auto GB does work because not enough minerals. Recovery is slightly better than LRP but not as fast as f5/omega.

When you say it will air test a dime at 9'' is this with proper Tone and I.D. ? To me this is more important then how far. Also how is the modulated audio as it has it I heard where deeper targets are softer? Is it hotter then your MX-5? Thanks.

I have had both the F2 and the F44. To me the F2 (I had) was definately faster. If you swing the F44 too fast it will clip the audio. It may not do that in an air test but in the ground is a different story. The audio is pretty modulated the deeper tones will sound softer. The volume does not seem to be very loud even on a setting of 20.

Harold said:
When you say it will air test a dime at 9'' is this with proper Tone and I.D. ? To me this is more important then how far. Also how is the modulated audio as it has it I heard where deeper targets are softer? Is it hotter then your MX-5? Thanks.

My air tests are with proper tone and ID. To me a detector is useless if it ID's everything as iron after a few inches. Deeper targets are softer, but they hit harder in the jewelry mode. I haven't really compared it to my MX5 head to head yet, but I'd say it's in the neighborhood. Not bad for a machine at half the cost of the MX5.

tc1967 said:
Do you have a way to weigh the f44. I would like to know exactly before I order one.

LIght as a feather like a Tesoro.

The Fisher site says, "Ultra-lightweight Only 2.3 lbs. Operational Weight"

HH
Coast40
Oregon Coast

For comparison, the Fisher site says the F2 weighs 2.6 lbs (including batteries).

Yeah if the F44's too heavy for you, a new hobby would probably be in order. My grandson's three and he can swing it.

The web site says all the new one's weigh 2.3 I have a f2 and love it. I ordered the f44 from big boy hobbies. Can't wait !!!!!!!

Got my F44 today. owner of the shop set it up before I got there to pick it up. Did a quick check in the grass outside the shop - found my 3 dropped quarters no pain no strain. Off and running to the Jersey Shore for a quick hunt. Operated in Jewelry mode for 1/2 hour - found 4 dimes. Operated in Coin mode for 1/2 hour - found 1 quarter, 1 nickel, and 3 pennies. Too many people on the blanket line to operate effectively. Will have to go back down there next week (either very early or very late).
So far, I'm liking it. Have to read the manual a few times and play wtith the settings.

I'm curious if it mixes nickels and modern pulltabs together.

Miser67 said:
I'm curious if it mixes nickels and modern pulltabs together.

I bet it does.
The double holed sta-tabs that usually comes in around the lower to mid 30's I assume.
The beaver tail tabs usually come in a bit higher, the 40's on most other Fishers.

I am hoping this one works the same as the behavior I see on my other Fishers.
90% or more of all the tabs, other junk too like foil and can slaw if it is irregular shaped, will not come in stable and stay within a 2-3 number jump only when swinging over them.
Most of the time you will get much more jumpy numbers than that and after digging thousands of targets that became sort of a rule for me.
If it jumps too much I leave it in the ground and my rule and limit is a 3 number jump.
I could be missing some good targets but overall I have dug a ton of great targets, including way more than my share of gold, while avoiding about 80-90% of the garbage out there in some very trashy sites.
You have to do this correctly...targets meet to be centered under the middle of the coil and swung over at the right speed because almost any target could jump a lot if not done right.

I believe the Fishers all have a language that is similar and can be learned, but there is also a hidden language that many don't know about and much information can be obtained about trash targets and even many good targets deeper if you learn this hidden language and the behavior you see on the screens.
After about 1000 hours on the F2 and hundreds with my F70 I believe I have a pretty good handle on this hidden language stuff.
If you saw what I have found with my 2 Fishers, (over 20 gold rings, tons of silver jewelry and close to $1000 worth of coins both old and modern), in only the last few years, AND the huge amount of trash I have left in the ground and avoided digging while doing it this way you would believe me.

Just recently I have proved this theory at a special site with tons of tabs.
At a school site I have hunted more times than I could count with a very old football field and two large soccer fields back to back all along the sidelines I have picked up gold, silver and a ton of coins using the F2 for hours.
I dug a lot of both kinds of tabs in that time, like I said many of them will stay solid and within that 3 number jump, but I left uncountable amounts of them in the ground.

For the last year or so I have put the F2 away and returned with the F70 and went over the entire area again several times.
I have found a lot of clad I missed and even a few more pieces of silver jewelry most of that a bit deeper.
As far as tabs I have found that my F70 seems to be way better at zeroing in on these things than my F2 was.
Lots of them still jump more than 3 numbers and after digging a ton of these at first to make sure I am pretty confident that these types are still junk and avoided them most of the time after that.
The interesting thing about all this is I am now picking up large amount of tabs that are stable and stay within that 3 number rule.
They were always there but the upper end Fisher is just a bit better at locking in on these than the F2 ever was.
I dig every one of these at this site looking for stable signal gold and now I have dug a bunch but the surprising thing is that every one has been a tab of some kind so far.
Every one.
Not one target has come up in these numbers yet that was not a tab.
This tells me that I still can avoid lots of trash by staying in my 3 number rule using the F70 but there will be a bit more trash digging simply because the F70 can lock on a bit better to some of these that the F2 couldn't.
The great thing is using the F2 by learning that hidden language and watching the screen for other obscure clues I also observed I seem to have managed to successfully avoid most of the problem tab trash at this site by knowing it's behavior so well.
Again, I could miss a good target here or there at any site doing it this way but I don't care.
I spend way more time digging better percentage targets and spend way less time and energy digging trash while finding a ton more great targets than I ever did in the past when I really was a "dig it all" kind of hunter so I am fine with it.

My hope is that this new line of Fishers, including the F44 I am aiming for, has the basic Fisher language I know so well but hopefully also has another hidden language I can observe and figure out and use to my advantage.
I sure hope it does.
No disc but only the ability to notch out whole sections 10 numbers at a time could make for some tricky hunting and more garbage digging at very trashy sites when I am looking for gold, but if this one does behave similar to the F2 and jump pretty good while scanning the bulk of the trash out there it would be a wash.

I really plan on using this in the water mostly without using any notching but there are times I will be hunting dirt in the rain or wander over regular sites with it so learning its behavior is just as important to me with this one as any other detector I have ever held.
I believe learning any detector you swing as well as possible and never stop is just the way you are supposed to do this hobby, my way anyway, and by doing it this way for me the rewards have been way beyond my wildest dreams.

New unit, New kind of coil, new behavior to get a chance to learn...can't wait!

That F44 may make a decent shallow water rig, beach broomer....I took a look at it.....especially since the coil does not have those danged fins on it!...

I'm sure its a great foul weather rig...a guy would have to try it in the water though...I took the f70 out right up to the brain box many a time and in the rain with no ill effects, but that 11"dd with the fins is very hard to swing through the water and that coil likes to want to float, so its hard on a guy to use in the water...trying to swing it is tough, and trying to keep it down is too, a guy had to perform a Herringbone a push and pull style sweep, it found gold though!....maybe this F44 coil design discounts this?....it appears to be a rig designed for shallow water wading and foul weather, so I'm a tentative 'thumbs up' and waiting on the in field reports.....
Mud.

Not very good at doing reports, but here goes.

Battery life - so far I have run the detector on the Jersey Shore for about 12.5 hours and used the pin-pointer quite a bit. Only one bar has gone away, so I would expect the battery life to be in the 20 hour range, as advertised.

Depth - finding stuff in the 5-6 inch range with little or no falsing. Using sensitivity 14-16 in the dry sand (12 is the factory setting). Lot of iron on our beaches, but it is working well in both the coin and jewelry modes. Since they do not recommend usage in salt water, I don't go down close to the surf line.

I did use it in a very foggy environment one morning and light showers this morning with no evident side effects. Just remember, do not use headphones/earbuds in the wet.

Large digital screen is great for me since I am deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other - behind the neck ear buds work for me (they don't work loose). The digital number ID has been pretty much spot on with copper pennies bouncing around a bit (in the mid 50's), but dimes and quarters are right where you would expect to see them (66 for dimes and 76/79 for quarters).

I'm definitely liking this machine for low weight and easy swinging, large ID screen and economical battery usage (my old minelab used 8 batteries for about 12-15 hours usage).

Hope you find this helpful.

OT

oltimer1940 said:
Not very good at doing reports, but here goes.

Battery life - so far I have run the detector on the Jersey Shore for about 12.5 hours and used the pin-pointer quite a bit. Only one bar has gone away, so I would expect the battery life to be in the 20 hour range, as advertised.

Depth - finding stuff in the 5-6 inch range with little or no falsing. Using sensitivity 14-16 in the dry sand (12 is the factory setting). Lot of iron on our beaches, but it is working well in both the coin and jewelry modes. Since they do not recommend usage in salt water, I don't go down close to the surf line.

I did use it in a very foggy environment one morning and light showers this morning with no evident side effects. Just remember, do not use headphones/earbuds in the wet.

Large digital screen is great for me since I am deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other - behind the neck ear buds work for me (they don't work loose). The digital number ID has been pretty much spot on with copper pennies bouncing around a bit (in the mid 50's), but dimes and quarters are right where you would expect to see them (66 for dimes and 76/79 for quarters).

I'm definitely liking this machine for low weight and easy swinging, large ID screen and economical battery usage (my old minelab used 8 batteries for about 12-15 hours usage).

Hope you find this helpful.

OT

Thanks for your field test report OT.

I'm keeping an eye on this machine to pick up for my wife.....and I might do a little fresh water lake hunting with it :)

For someone that's never detected before (my wife), do you feel it's easy to configure and understand what it's telling you?

Thanks and HH,
Brian