Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got those winter cabin fever blues? Hints

MassSaltH2O

If you are like me, winter is not the greatest time for metal detecting. In the US, winters can be hard times for metal detectorists. During the winter, the weather can be unpleasant, esp in the North. Also, the ground freezes up during the wintertime in the Northern latitutudes.
What is a poor MDer to do during the wintertime?
Here are a few hints:
The fishermen of the North repair thier nets, lines and traps during the winter. I usually study my user manual, and do online research during the winter.
But what if you really have had enough studying and research, and you are itching to just get out there and do some detecting?
If you are wealthy, you can just fly in your private jet to Australia. It is summertime down there.
OK, what if this is not an option?
There are several other options.
Now is the time to be making your reservations for the deserts of the American Southwest. Now, and the next several months are the nicest months to detect in the American Southwest.
Another option: Head for a salt water beach.
For most of the US, at least, there is never any snow or ice at the water line of a salt water beach, even in the middle of winter. OK, maybe in Alaska you might find an iceberg at the beach in the winter, but for most of the continental US, the salt water beaches are always accessible for metal detecting, even in the middle of winter, or the same day as a heavy snowfall that day.
And, the sand never freezes up. Again, this is for the continental US. If you live at the North Pole, good luck even finding a beach during the winter.
A word of advice, if you plan on heading to a salt water beach during the wintertime (and even early spring), make sure that you bring plenty of cold weather clothes with you, even if it is a spring like day where you live.
The wind, and the wind chill factor, will be much worse at the beach. Even on a pleasant day.
Happy metal detecting. Spring is right around the corner.

Another thing I do is read this forum a lot during the winter months, it helps with my addiction for metal detecting. Here in WV we do get a nice day every now and then during the winter months so that also helps.

still looking 52 said:
Another thing I do is read this forum a lot during the winter months, it helps with my addiction for metal detecting. Here in WV we do get a nice day every now and then during the winter months so that also helps.

Hi Still looking. Right. Me too.

I went out this afternoon for about 4 hours. Warm enough that I wore a short sleeve shirt. I was clad fishing a community park. Dug 25 lincolns and left an equal number of zincolns in the dirt. $5.40 in clad joined the lincons and came home with me. Just one reason I Love the south.

Beach is where I go still pulling silver especially on the super low tides from the super moon!

I've been off the radar for several months now due to an out of State move and a broken foot! Fortunately, I'm pretty much over the broken foot but the weather here in Utah really is sucky!! Constant snow showers and just when the snow is melting, a fresh snow storm comes through!!! There's lots of ice (almost could call it perma-frost)!!lol still under the snow that has been here before Christmas. Soooooo, my only chance to put in some decent time detecting and keep my sanity is to go down to California for a few days and detect the beaches. It's either do that or take up stamp collecting...arg!!!! Roll on Spring and Summer....I can hardly wait! Happy detecting all.

Visit your local library....time for some research...One fellow found a local old swimming area that is now in he middle of the woods...last count he recovered 20 plus gold rings..so one never knows...