Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got to take the MX Sport out

azdigger

After waiting due to personal probs. I got to go out with the MX Sport today. Went to the same place I have been going with my other detectors.....Showed trash , then said a Zinc...dug it , it was. Right in a place I know I have been over many times before.
Took it to another place I like to go but there was some kids there and they all wanted to "try " my machine....then they told me they would not take it I told them it cost too much to let anyone else us it. They kept houinding me so I left but not before turning up 2 more zincs.... not many old coins to be found there but , still found coins.
I do see a small learning curve, hunted in J&C Reject vol 50 and I could tell bottle caps from pennies.......
Gonna love this machine......using stock coil , Am I going to need/want the 7" Detch coil ?????

azdigger said:
After waiting due to personal probs. I got to go out with the MX Sport today. Went to the same place I have been going with my other detectors.....Showed trash , then said a Zinc...dug it , it was. Right in a place I know I have been over many times before.
Glad you got out with the MX Sport. It's a good detector once you learn how to get the most enjoyment [size=small](and performance)[/size] out of the different modes and settings. I don't have the MX Sport but have used a couple of them for short periods, but it was enough to let me know I wanted the land-model version of that circuitry, the MX-7. I enjoyed working with the first one I bought on a drive over to White's that I acquired a second MX-7 just to keep different search coils mounted for quick gran-and-go use.

Any place that has been hunted can, and will, still produce, if if it is a site we feel we have cleaned up pretty well ourselves. Matter of fact that's exactly what I have been experiencing this month as I am working on my MX-7 Evaluation by working an easy-drive site Oregon Gregg and I have been working, a lot with several excellent Nokta, Makro, Tesoro and White's detectors we own over the past two years. Places where we have kind of concentrated our detecting efforts and have recovered early Lincoln Cents, Buffalo Nickels and silver Mercury and early Roosevelt Dimes. We have also found old Tom Mix buckles, Trade Tokens and souvenir tokens, and other neat keepers all from this same general 100 ft. X 100 ft. section.

From this dedicated and often hunted area we have each recovered older coins using our White's detectors this past week. I got a '44 and '47 Wheat-Back with my MX-7 and Gregg recovered a '44 Wheat-Back and '46 Roosevelt Dime with his MXT. We were there hunting together and we both know we've been over that general area numerous times. It's just a matter of getting the center of the coil over the targets and recovering both 'good' and 'iffy' responses. You can hear the abundant trash, especially iron, so it takes time to unmask any good targets. I am certain you're going to enjoy the MX Sport as the year progresses.

azdigger said:
I do see a small learning curve, hunted in J&C Reject vol 50 and I could tell bottle caps from pennies.......
Gonna love this machine......using stock coil , Am I going to need/want the 7" Detch coil ?????
Yes, there is a 'learning curve' associated with any detector that's new to use. I know I am enjoying the learning process, and I like the MX-7's 'fit' in my Detector Team. There's no 'perfect' detector but there are some very impressive detectors we can all learn to enjoy, and the MX-7's circuitry design gives me something different from the Nokta and Makro detectors I use.

All the site work I've done so far at that old park's fringe area has been using the 6½" Concentric coil. I have all three coils that would interest me, the 6½" and standard 950 Concentric plus the Detech 7" DD, and if I was limited to only one search coil it would be the 6½" Concentric. That would be the coil I'd suggest to complement the stock coil on your MX Sport.

Monte

I wonder about m soil here in AZ , seems that a DD coil works the best.....tried this with my MXT and the DD coil seem to get the best results.

azdigger said:
I wonder about m soil here in AZ , seems that a DD coil works the best.....tried this with my MXT and the DD coil seem to get the best results.
Although my primary states for detecting have been Nevada, Oregon and Utah [size=small](only listed alphabetically)[/size], and including travel to various parts with varying ground mineral environment in those states, I have also enjoyed the travels I have made over the past several decades [size=small](since '83)[/size] to hunt in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington and Wyoming [size=small](again, listed alphabetically)[/size] and have experienced a wide-range of ground mineral challenges. Pleasantry at some of those 'neutral' to 'very mellow' places, to really nasty-bad-ugly iron rich mineralized areas.

I've been using Double-D coils since '71, and Concentric coils since they've been around, on many different types of detectors from TR and TR-Disc, to VLF/TR-Disc and on to all of the different 'filtering' types of modern motion-based VLF [size=small](GB)[/size] Discriminating models. Some detector makes and models were designed primarily around the DD search coil, and others were oriented for the Concentric type coils, and some models can make use of either coil type, such as my Makro Racer 2, Nokta Impact, White's MX-7 or the MX-Sport.

Most often I am hunting in higher mineralized sites, many being gold mining era ghost towns or mining encampments. Other challenging sites as well, and most of them have an ample supply of nails, rusty tin, and other ferrous discards. Usually, I prefer to use a Concentric coil when I have that option in bad-ground and dense ferrous trash. I have hunted, and continue to hunt, places using both Concentric and Double-D coils, but with the right preforming detector [size=small](circuitry design and operation)[/size] I usually use a Concentric and comparable detectors with similar-size DD coils seldom out-perform me, and quite often don't quite match my Concentric's results. The nice thing with the MX Sport and MX-7 is that we have that option and that allows for personal feelings to take charge of what we each opt to make use of.:clapping:

Monte

Monte said:
Any place that has been hunted can, and will, still produce, if if it is a site we feel we have cleaned up pretty well ourselves. Matter of fact that's exactly what I have been experiencing this month as I am working on my MX-7 Evaluation by working an easy-drive site Oregon Gregg and I have been working, a lot with several excellent Nokta, Makro, Tesoro and White's detectors we own over the past two years. Places where we have kind of concentrated our detecting efforts and have recovered early Lincoln Cents, Buffalo Nickels and silver Mercury and early Roosevelt Dimes. We have also found old Tom Mix buckles, Trade Tokens and souvenir tokens, and other neat keepers all from this same general 100 ft. X 100 ft. section.

From this dedicated and often hunted area we have each recovered older coins using our White's detectors this past week. I got a '44 and '47 Wheat-Back with my MX-7 and Gregg recovered a '44 Wheat-Back and '46 Roosevelt Dime with his MXT. We were there hunting together and we both know we've been over that general area numerous times. It's just a matter of getting the center of the coil over the targets and recovering both 'good' and 'iffy' responses. You can hear the abundant trash, especially iron, so it takes time to unmask any good targets. I am certain you're going to enjoy the MX Sport as the year progresses.

Monte

I agree Monte, people seem to be pre focused on DD's, I hit the Iron infested sites with the 12"/300 Concentric because everyone believes that a small DD is the way to go which leaves all the deeper finds in the ground so thinking out of the box I decided to do the opposite and people thought I was nuts and there I was finding Hammered coins thick and fast where I had never seen any come out in years and I had never found any ever until then, And other larger coins from the 1800s coming out in excess of over 12 and 13" says a lot about the power of those big concentric coils, I know of someone who hit a 1 ounce Gold Nugget at over 18" inches using that big 12"/300 Coil So it does have the Horsepower when needed.

I have noticed that some Whites coils do not have a lot of depth and are a bit fussy and they hold back the power yet other coils are quite brutal and this leads people to thinking that some machines are not as deep as others in the Whites line up when this is not the case, Some of Whites machines with the right coil choice can have you digging that deep that you start to think that there is nothing down there and you are chasing Ghosts,

One other thing is as you know but others might not, By using a Concentric Coil they will ID bottle caps better and on larger Iron you can get away with using less Disc than you would use when using a DD which means any small high value items still have a chance to come through,