Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got Two Keepers With GT & 12x10 Today. One A Key Date Indian...

Critterhunter

Did a hunt today and got a silver Jesus pendant about a bit bigger than a quarter. It read like a wheat so although it looked silver in the hole I knew it was going to be plated by the VDI and sure enough it was. Looks pretty old though.

Also dug a key date 1872 Indian at about 6" or so. It read 167 on the VDI. I think this year should read 173 like a zinc due to it's copper/bronze makeup but suspect it's condition caused it to read a bit lower. Fatty Indians with nickel in them will read even lower, well down into the pull tab range at around 160 to 164 or so.

Funny thing is I saw a plug about 2 feet away from it. Somebody missed that one.

According to a recent coin book this year Indian in lowest condition the book listed was $90 for one variety and $100 for the other. Unfortunately this coin has seen better days due to I suspect fertilizer. I did a fleabay search for auctions that are over for this year indian and judging by the pics of what ones in similar shape went for I'm guessing it might be worth about $30 to $50. I'll have a better idea once I take it out of it's hot water and soap bath to try to soak the crud off it, but best I can see right now I think that's going to be about its price/condition range.

I'll throw up a few pics of it and the pendant in a day or two here. Want to let the Indian soak for a while. After that I'll coat it with a good bath of olive oil to prevent further degradation with being exposed to air.

I've dug indians in the past and large cents that I could read a date on right when they were dug and then an hour later the air had got to them and I lost the date. I've got to start carrying a small bottle of soapy water to throw copper/bronze coins into right away as soon as they are dug because sometimes depending on the ground they were sitting in once exposed to air they go down hill real fast. By soaking in soapy water until you get home and then throwing it in some olive oil for a while it'll protect it. The olive oil also brings out details on copper and bronze items like coins or old buttons.

I was using PP mode about half the time with the GT and then flipping back to disc to check targets. For sure you can scan even faster in PP than the even increased speed the 12x10 allows for me in disc over the stock 10" Tornado. This way too I don't have to hit a target dead center with the coil that I might otherwise miss at extreme depth. PP will sound off to it even if you are being sloppy in your sweeps. Once I hear a whisper I back track and flip to disc and sweep over it to see the the deal is. Usually I'm right about a target being iron by a few unique responses iron will often give in PP. Still like to check in disc though as I'm still very new to PP and don't want to risk passing anything without checking in disc most of the time.

Still haven't used my new 7.25" eight inch Tornado yet other than the 1 hour trial hunt with it when I first got it a month or two back. The sites I've been hitting lately are wide open where depth and coverage is primary. I'm confident of the 12x10 in heavy trash anyway but sooner or later here I'll be breaking out the tiny little Tornado for working some very heavy stuff and see if it can find a few things the 12x10 missed due to it's longer DD line being a bigger coil. Even though the 12x10's left/right separation is second to none, it for sure will still require you to grid from more angles than the 8" Tornado to unmask certain stuff a longer DD line might hide.

Forgot to mention, got a few other surprises in the hunt. One is a very tiny little item I dug at about 5+ inches with the 12x10 that banged solid from any direction. I actually thought it was going to be a wheat with it's 176 to 178 (forget which it was) VDI # as it sounded around 8" or so (which is still loud with the 12x10) but turned out it was a sliver of a tiny little thing about 5" deep or so.

Before I dug it I called over a friend with a non-Minelab known for fine gold sensitivity (not the best at that but one of the better brands/models than a Minelab at thin chains/tiny earrings) and he said he was getting an iron/tab/and sometimes coin hit from it. Didn't think much about it until I dug this thing up, expecting a deep wheat. His machine was having issues with this little target in how hard it hit for him, dropping down to iron here and there. Not saying the GT even with a 12x10 will do anywhere nearly as well on thin gold chains or tiny earrings as this particular unit, but did find this interesting in this one item's respect.

I also got a very small round ball lead shot at a pretty good depth. Curious thing is it read down in the tab range, where as I've dug ones about this small before that read for me around the 178 wheat range or maybe as low as a 173 zinc. Not sure why it read as low as it did. I suspect it has some harder metal mixed with the lead that is a lower conductor.

I'll throw some pics up of these with the pendant and the Indian in a day or two here...

WTG Critter! Nice finds and great info. Thanks. I've been putting in my time with the 13" Ultimate coil and using sensitivity out of auto trying to learn to get really deep. So far so good. HH. Matt

Any hunt is a good hunt but, it appears you had a "really" good day. Thanks for sharing. John.

Thanks all. Will try to get some pics up today or tomorrow of this stuff. Also did another hunt yesterday and got another keeper I'll post info and pics on as well when I get to it. This computer doesn't have a compact flash card reader for my pocket camcorder, so I have to wait until I get on the other computer I use here and there to upload the pics. That other keeper I just got yesterday in a shot hunt had a piece of junk laying in the hole with it. I don't want to spoil the story until I can post the pics on that one as well.

Matthias...! Man, ain't seen you post in a long while. Guessing you are finally settled in with your move then? Good to hear from you my friend. Miss your posts very much so here's hoping you got more coming in the future now. Was starting to worry about ya...

Thanks Critter. I've been lurking and now starting to get some good detecting weather. I'm settled here in NJ now. Can't find my camera so I can't post pics yet. Of course I need to find something worth posting too! Good to be back. HH. Matt