Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got various opinions on what this is on another site.

homebre

IMG_0180.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.57.27 PM.png

From the link below
OXEN/STEER BRASS HORN KNOBS TIP GUARDS
These little hollow brass ball things are called ox knobs. In Nova Scotia we most often see them used on the tips of horns of oxen but they are also used on steer. The end of the horn is like your fingernail - no nerves - so it is carefully pared with a knife to fit the inside of the brass knob - some are threaded and some smooth. The know is twisted on - some apply a glue or epoxy. The knobs add a nice decorative touch to a team of oxen and some believe they help prevent accidental puncture incidents animal to animal or ox to human. This group has five different versioins. Three are threaded and the largest one is smooth inside. Each has a hole drilled in the side so you can add a pin to help keep the knob on the horn.

Others from the same site:

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 10.04.45 PM.png

View attachment 15210

From the link below
OXEN/STEER BRASS HORN KNOBS TIP GUARDS
These little hollow brass ball things are called ox knobs. In Nova Scotia we most often see them used on the tips of horns of oxen but they are also used on steer. The end of the horn is like your fingernail - no nerves - so it is carefully pared with a knife to fit the inside of the brass knob - some are threaded and some smooth. The know is twisted on - some apply a glue or epoxy. The knobs add a nice decorative touch to a team of oxen and some believe they help prevent accidental puncture incidents animal to animal or ox to human. This group has five different versioins. Three are threaded and the largest one is smooth inside. Each has a hole drilled in the side so you can add a pin to help keep the knob on the horn.

Others from the same site:

View attachment 15211
Thanks. That was what a few other people said, and that was I was leaning towards. Is there a way to tell how old they are?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they also called a Hame. I have found one and that is what it was ID'ed at.

Horse Collar with Hames.jpg

Here's a pic I found.