Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS & Google Earth

Raoul

Having learned how the gps works with Google Earth, thanks to Andrew, i found my first old house foundations,15 min drive from home and near a lake, judging by the thickness of the broken glass and pottery i would put the foundations at over 100 years old and tomorrow i will go detecting there with my Whites MXT. hopefully i will find some goodies.

Cheers Raoul

Hello Raoul,

Google Earth will greatly enhance your research and will help you locate sites from long ago, Here's an area that has taken me 18 years to locate. With Google Earth, it only took several hours of scanning the miles of open range with rolling hills.

This particular trail and area dates back to the Indians, A year round water source and then used by the Spanish explorers, the fur trappers and famous men such as Kit Carson and others, Then the Stage route used this trail and many travelers as well, Two centuries from 1700 to late 1800's used this route and watering hole.

I once made an attempt 18 years ago by foot to locate this area and due to the harsh surroundings and rolling hills, I couldn't locate the site. Now, I'm working with getting permission from the property owner to enter this old ground, Already have permission from two other property owners leading to this area and now just need permission from the owner that own this area.

The dirt road in the picture is the actual trail used back then, Now cattle freely wonder here from the miles of rolling hills. One can only image the abundance of finds to be made here. Centuries of relics and maybe coins dropped by the Indians, the Spanish, Stage route finds, French fur trappers and famous explorers alike. A place well hidden out in no mans county.

God luck with your research,
HH, Paul (Ca)

Hi Paul, sounds like you will hit the jackpot when you finally get permission to go in, WOW Kit Carson used to read all about his adventures in the comic books when i was a kid,Spanish explorers i can just picture all the fantastic finds you will find.
Best of luck Raoul

With Google Earth, You can determine the precise location from home and then use this data out in the field using a handheld GPS.

With this particular site, I've already recorded the miles of rolling hills and trail I'll use leading to the watering hole, No more guessing or wondering out in the rough terrain leading to the area.

Hope this picture shows which will give you an idea of what I was up against,

HH, Paul (Ca)

Hey Paul, great bit of detective work must of been a strain on the eyes untill you found it. I can see what you meant by the water supply, harsh land can you imagine what it would have been like 200 years ago trying to cross it.
Would love to know how you get on in the future with it.
Take care, regards Raoul.