Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPS question?

In the GPS map mode, Navigation Tool displayed, "Go to" waypoint selected how does one
actually know which direction you're going in without using external source. I know the little
red arrow in the the nav tool should point to the waypoint with distance and I know in most
cases there has to be movement for the gps to sense your direction. What purpose does the
little N sign in the upper right hand corner and the Nav tool serve if they are fixed. I can tell
from the lat/longs If I'm moving in a generally N,S,E,W direction by the numbers increasing
or decreasing. Not being picky....Just expected more. I still like the CTX.

The only time the Navigation tool works is when you GO TO a Start point, End point, Way point, or Find point. The N^ is basically just to orientate you on the map. When you are in a hunt, a trail is shown where you have been, and where you are going. So if you are moving South, you will be heading to the 6:00 position of the screen. If your going West, you will be moving towards the 9:00 position on the screen and so forth.

Thanks for the reply GK. I created waypoint, moved about 30 ft. to what I know to be due west and selected "go to".
I would think the arrow in the Nav tool would point to the waypoint, but it's totally off in direction and distance.
I'll try again tomorrow (getting dark outside) in enhanced mode to see if it helps. My $200 Iphone works great.
Just kidding.

Keep in mind that; what looks on the screen like a compass is NOT a compass. It does not show in which direction the North is. It shows where the "Go To" is in relation to the North. Now, if you orient yourself so the top of the screen faces North than, the pointer will show correctly in which direction your "Go To" is. Treat it as you would treat a printed map.
Another pointer; GPS in the CTX can be very accurate and will usually show / mark location within couple of feet BUT, the best accuracy you will get only after about 20 minutes on and locked to satellites. Before that time, it's not uncommon to see much larger errors in position. It's not CTX's fault - (to simplify) it simply needs to get the current corrections for GPS satellite orbits.
Also, to maximize accuracy, it's best for most of the North America and Europe to turn "Enhanced" ON.
HTH