Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 4000, 4500 and 5000.. real difference?

BetaGod

Hello guys, I would buy a metal detector like GPX.. ( I haven't considered the old series SD and GP because i read the GPX series are more stable with better discrimination).. I don't need to find gold (i'm Italian and here i can't get gold :angry: ) but i need to use it in some land really mineralized for find some deep target!

I don't know which are the real difference between GPX 4000, 4500 and 5000.. someone can explain? the maximum depth is the same for SD, GP and GPX?

Thank you so much and sorry for my english :heh:

Don't forget the GPX 4800. The four GPX models are basically the same detector but each model on the series offers additional ground handling settings compared to earlier models, with nugget detecting in mind. For relic hunting any of them would probably serve about as well, but there are many good buys on the GPX 5000 right now as people upgrade to the GPZ 7000.

Minelab still services and supports all the GPX models. SD and GP series units are now considered obsolete. http://www.minelab.com/emea/customer-care-1/obsolete

I'm thinking about 4000 or 4500 (for relic hunting).. which goes deeper?
In italy is really hard to find an used gpx :(

The 2200 has disc but not as finely tuned as the GPX. Depth on large stuff in about the same. The Minelab models over time saw more improvement on small targets than on larger targets.

so for a coin or something like this the depth is the same... good i bought a sd2200v2 :D now i'm trying to use a lipo battery for better stability threshold (constant voltage) and better power (sensivity and depth i think). Now I just have to figure out the better voltage.. in some forum i read "if the voltage is more than 6.3v, and less than 8.5v, there should not be a problem. Any voltage greater than 6.3v should give an increase in depth up to about 8.3v. Generally once you go above 8.3v there is no more advantage, and if you go too high you could cause problems with your detector:( Also the Ah (amp hour) rating needs to be taken into consideration so you battery does not go flat after 1 hour of detecting." so i think 8.3 is the better choice.. i can use a 11.1v lipo with a voltage regulator with a trimmer!

GO for a 4500 they have a amp in the battery when using a speaker the 4000 does not and the 5000 does for relic hunting you would be paying for features that you will not use on a 5000 .4500 are a good stable detector I do not think that the discriminator has improved on any of the minelab PI detectors regards john:ausflag:

Must admit after the massive price drop of late in the GPX range it has been very tempting to put one hand in ones pocket and shell out for one of these machines,the main use for mine will be for hoard hunting in the UK,so basically dont need the improvements that had been made for nugget hunting,so a earlier model could do the job that i want from it.

But of course if a 5000 model came along in superb condition at the right price,i may even push the boat out even further for one of those,the bottom line is that i am a bit of a tight wad when it comes to spending money.

Back light- Off - 3 Volume Limit- 19 - 17 Ground Balance Type- General - same Special- Sensitive Extra - same Manual Tune- Range between 90 & 100, usually 95 - 96 (10 above is someone else is close, 10 below if EMI occurs) Deep- Motion slow - same RX gain- 7 (This can vary depending on atmospheric conditions) - same Audio- Normal - Deep Audio tone- 50 - 32 Stabiliser- 6 (This varies with RX gain) - 8 Signal- 19 - Same Target volume- 12 - 16 Reponse- Normal - same Tracking- Medium - Slow Iron reject- Off - 8