Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 4800 or 5000 for relic hunting?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a GPX... will be using it for relic hunting in both the decent soils of PA and some hot soils in VA. I know that the GPX 5000 is advertised with 8 timings and includes a pair of coils. The GPX 4800 only comes with the DD coil (the one I would use 95% of the time) and only 6 timings.... Are there any other differences?

And what is the general consensus - spend the extra money on the 5000 and get the extra timings and coil, or get the 4800 and save the money on items that might not be used (unless I decide to go gold hunting).

I'm leaning toward the 5000 but was looking for opinions from a few who have experience with them... which would you choose and why? :detecting:

The easiest way to find the differences in the 2 detectors is to get the pdf file of the manual from Minelab

http://www.minelab.com/usa/consumer/knowledge-base/product-manuals

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/22591/Instruction%20Manual%20GPX%204800-5000%20(4901-0096-2).pdf

At the top of each major heading (how it works section) if there is a difference between the detectors it's documented like this:

Minelab GPX 4800/500 Manual said:
GPX 5000 Range - Sens Smooth, Fine Gold, Sens Extra, Salt/Gold, Sharp, Coin/Relic
GPX 4800 Range - Sens Extra, Sharp, Coin/Relic, Salt-Coarse
Factory Preset - Fine Gold (GPX 5000), Sens Extra (GPX 4800)

I would suggest finding the soil timing most of the folks use in your area use and buy accordingly. If money is no object get the 5000 and you have them all.

For relic hunting the 4800 has the timings you will use. The extra ones on the 5000 wont benefit you as a relic hunter. The Fine Gold timing is only really good for sub gram size gold with the mono coil showing the most muscle...for relic hunting it would be way too sensitive to sub size metal like bird shot or very small camp lead. The other timing is a Salt timing used for gold hunting salt flats and such.

The mono coil that comes with the 5000...well that's a great thing for gold but relics will probably require a DD coil.

I had to sell my 5000 but I will have another GPX but this time I'm getting the 4800 and saving several hundred. There is one accessory coil I do like though and that is the 6x10 DD. But for the price difference between the 48 and 5000, you can buy the coil you want and still come out cheaper than buying the 5000.

Thanks guys - I appreciate your feedback. I've been looking at the manual... it appears that there are several adjustments that are different in the 4800 vs the 5000. In the next day or so I'll try to list them all in this post for anyone who may be asking the same question as I am....

Daniel - Did you try the Fine Gold timing in the hot soil, or is this just from what you understand about the timings in general?

And that small DD sounds real appealing especially in some colonial homestead sites (the best ones without aluminum!). Is that a coiltek?

CoilTek makes a coil that size called the Joey. It is a good coil...I found a breastplate with one that I got on video. I also had the Minelab Commander series DD in the 6x10 size. Personally, the CoilTek is made better and lighter than the Minelab equivalent but it costs a bit more. I also tried the 12x15 DD and did not like that coil. It was far too heavy and didn't really gain much...well I personally see smaller coils as an advantage when coin/relic hunting but that's just me.

Hi Daniel, ScottTX here,

Also, there is the 12X8" Coiltek Platypus to consider. Didn't you use on of those at DIV XVII? What are your thoughts on it?

Coiltek was the original supplier of coils to Minelab. That round Coiltek Goldstalker 18" Mono I have weights less then the 12X15" Minelab because of the large cutouts in the body.

One of Treasurespots sponsers has a great deal on the 4800, comes with a free coil too !! Running a mono coil in all metal will still be key to finding the deeper pits and huts, that has not changed with the new technology.

I used a mono at DIV XVI but because Brandy Rock has been farmed for so many years I dug a lot of trash iron.

Your right if you are in an area where there is a know campsite then the mono coil would be best. It goes deeper then a DD and will find those deep huts.

Knowing what I know I would opt for the 5000. If for no other reason, think of the resale value. I can tell you that while I have sold my fair share of 5000's I have not sold even one GPX4800.

If your choice was a 4500 or a 4800 then I would say the 4800 is your pick. But not if you are comparing the 4800 to the 5000.

Doc

Hi Doc,

I ended up getting the 5000, partially because I got a great deal on one, partially for the extra features, and also because of the resale value. My thought is that come resale time there will be more gold hunters interested than relic hunters. But I hope the day does not come when I have to sell! :)

One of these days I'll add your gold screamer pack to it, but first I have to get beyond the sticker shock and go find some goodies. The wifey thinks i've spent enough money already. :rolleyes:

[size=large]I haven't sold a single 4800 yet... In fact, I have a 5000 that I am using now getting ready for DIV XIX. Some folks are intimidated by the controls but in reality, they are pretty simple. I have a mono coil that I haven't used yet because I favor the DD. With the mono, the depth will be better but you will lose the ability to discriminate. (Flip the swip and your DD will become a mono coil) The only reason I try to get folks to buy the 5000, is like Doc said, the resale value.
Take care and get ready to enjoy a great detector... Richard[/size]