Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 5000 coils

This is a CW Relic question on coils and pretty general. I know everybody has there own favorite but as far as a middle of the road coil for relic hunting which I am looking at the 15X12 elliptical because I am in the woods as much as open fields what would be the better choice DD or mono? I am using the 11" coil and want to step up on deeper targets.I hunt high materialization and very low mineral soil. Thanks Phillip.

Hello Phillip,

I'm still new with the GPX, going on a year now with mine but luckily been using Pi's well over 20 years. Which helped me grasp the GPX quickly, but like many still in the learning stages with certain settings and experimenting with both DD and mono.

Although my only mono is the GoldStalker 18" x 12", must say it's terrific especially the weight. Punches down deep, great coverage in tight areas but the super light weight is fantastic.

However, Being a relic hunter only use it for deeper weaker signals after using DD coils. The 11" DD is great, I find this coil to be in between the smaller Commander 5" x10" DD and the 15X12 elliptical you're considering. Have the 15x12 DD elliptical and it's great but I prefer the 11" DD instead due to weight and can run with higher gain. Although the 15x12 is deeper, the extra weight doesn't justify the added depth but that's me as others may choose the 15x12 over the 11" in a heartbeat.

Auctally, Sadly may sell off that coil in the future. Recently, Picked up the 15" Sprial DD for my heavy hitter coil on depth. And that it does and very sensitive to small finds, it didn't loose the sensitivity on the tiniest finds for being a big coil, but there's a trade off the extra windings added more weight. So, Need a hip stick to help maneuver the coil.

My favorite DD is the 10" x5" Commander DD, serious depth for such a small coil. Use it for both relic hunting and inland coin shooting old parks, especially up in gold country great coil hunting the old miner sites laced with iron. Once in a while pulls out a neat find VLF can't even get a signal, this coil has it's strong points under right conditions.

Wish I could help with more information, like I was saying I myself are still learning with the GPX.

Best wishes,
Paul

Thanks Paul for the info. I have dug relics with a VLF since early 80's just now wading in with the 5000.Will seriously consider the 10X5 now. With a VLF there is only 3or4 coil considerations but the 5000 there is 10 or better and by asking I want personal experience and the biggest bang for the buck. Coil size must be a secret or somthing. Thanks again Phillip.

I hunt with the 4800 now had the 5000 for three years and sold it. I have used the 12 X 15 for about 3 years. great open field coil. Many of the farms I hunt have been hunted for years. I felt that the 11 inch was not going deep enough so I moved to the 12 X 15. It has pulled out some deeper targets. I do own a 5 X 10 but haven't used it yet so I can't help on that one. I do think it would be better for the woods. I just purchased the 18 inch coil to try at the next DIV in hopes to fined some huts and trash pits. All the coils I use are DD. Hope this helps.

I've used the 15x12 DD in the woods/fields for over 3 years now, its the one ya want. Got a free 15 mono with my original package years back, drove me nuts as a relic hunter as I expected.