Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 5000

Frank in NH

Is anyone in the US using one yet? I watched the video seems to go deep but just wondering how well the iron disc. works? Trying to get this forum going.

I Use mine at the beach, it goes very deep, iron disc is "okay" but as any machine P.I or vlf iron mask or rejection is only accurate to a certain depth. Iron reject only works with the DD coil. Even at max iron reject, the setting is very minimal. Not at all like the Infinium-TDI where more disc can be used to reject iron. Horizontal nails still give the double beep. When iron is detected with max setting it will slightly null, not completely like the Sovereign GT, but at least it does have some.

The timing you select will impact your iron disc too. The iron disc is accurate down to around 10-12 inches. You can get a good ear for it and not dig iron.

The TDI doesn't have discrimination. You can change the pulse delay or change the gb slightly to make it less sensitive to iron but nails will still sound like bullets or coins.

G'day Frank

Mate over here in west aus we never use the disc mode, we just dig all targets, as we've found gold can and will be lost if disc is used,
disc mode will also cut your depth capability by a good margin and thats just NOT ON! :thumbdown:
We also 99% of the time use Mono coils for the depth/sens advantage they give over the DD's.

The 5000 is a ripper of a machine, and ive clearly proven this many a time by taking mates out bush who own 4500's and who are a bit stuborn to accept that the 5000 is a step up from their 4500's.
And the typical way i prove it to them goes like this....... we fit the same coil size and configuration, use external speakers, and begin to detect
within shouting distance of each other, when i get one of those lovely quiet whispers of a signal i call the mate over and let him hear the response on my 5000, then i get them to try and either get the same strength of response or any response at all by them crancking up their 45's as much as they can, and the dejected look on their faces is almost like a kid who's lolly pop has been violently taken off them. :cry:

Most of them mates have now upgraded to the 5000 and are stuck into the gold real good.

Sometimes its hard for a prospectin bloke to admit that his gear isnt up to speed anymore, and they need to be shown directly that theres a
"New Kid On The Block"........ Now im not sayin that the 4500 isnt a great detector cause it clearly is, but the 5000 is the Big Brother of it,
and in the right hands, it will give the little brother a kick up the arse....

Thanks "Mods" for starting this "pi" section on the forum, i think it will be a great help to many members :thumbup:

Pete in West oz :cheers:

The iron discrimination works great IMHO. But you have to pay close attention to signals that only partially null and break up. I found that brass button can cause a partial null. This probably because of their orientation in the ground or their loose of mass over the years.

Question for Pete in West oz & Richard,

Are you guys talking about finding left over crumbs in the Fine Gold (FG) setting?

J.J.

If you go to Minelab.com and then videos watch the video GPX series for Civil War relic hunting and you will see a demo of the iron discrimination. You might have to turn up your speakers to hear the locator but you will get a sense of how it works.

Hi J.J

Mate the way i usually operate on an average day here is, in the cooler hours of the day i like to walk with a larger say 24x14 Nugget-Tech mono
looking for new patches out from existing known areas i have, then as the day warms up and my back starts to ache i downsize
the coil to a smaller size and hit the shallower areas i have already got gold from.

In answer to your question, i have found in my particular hunt areas that the fine gold setting does a good job on the small crumbs and the deeper
nuggets down to 3ft on the lge coils, and if the ground gets really noisey i switch over to enhance to shut up the noise but then lift the gain up a point or
two and back off the stabilizer 1 point and this almost, and its a very close almost, gives me the same sens as the fine gold set-up i use.

Some of the ironstone in my neck of the woods is so pure that you could weld it together, but the fine gold timings knocks it on the head really good and the only
ones that get through are the really magnetic hot rocks, which i hope will be the next agenda on Minelabs list of general improvements....
but i somehow think it will be a hard nut to crack....

Pete in WA :cheers:

Hi Pete in WA

Thank you for your reply. So, not only can you find crumbs in the 5000's Fine Gold setting, but large nuggets at depth also!? First time I've heard that. Sense I'm using a 4500 it sounds like I can get very close to your Fine Gold setting by using the setup in enhanced that you just described, and that's great news. I chose the 4500 over the 5000 because all I'd read about the 5000 was it's ability to find crumbs which I'm not really that interested in, and I prefer dedicated machines, not multi-use options like Coin/Relic modes. But, big deep gold in the Fine Gold setting is a whole nother story!

I'm also having the same issue with magnetized hot rocks, in my case a whole drainage full. These are a brown to tan variety that are so thick in some areas you have to walk on them to find a detectable clear spot. But, the gold is there so I persevere!

J.J.

Hi J.J

You can get very close with the settings i described, but again for some reason the 5000 will not only run smoother but will ignore some mineral barriers that can hide gold to the older models, i have been getting 2-3 gram bits at 1ft and the 45's couldnt even pick up a whisper let alone a good zippy target, so the 5000 is still my choice for cutting through this problem..

Pete in WA:cheers:

Heh Pete in WA

You must be in some extremely hot ground for a 4500 not to be able to pick up 2 or 3 gram nuggets at 12 inches ! Fortunately the area I've been hunting is pretty remote so it doesn't get worked much. In some spots I'm the only modern day prospector that's ever been there. It's pretty mineralized in places, but nothing like you must be talking about. Can't remember when the 5000 came out, do you ?

On another subject how does your 24" x 14" Nugget-Tech elliptical mono compare to Coilteks 24" x 12" or Nugget Finders 24" x 12" coils ? I've got a 20" round Nugget Finder that I like a lot, but I need to get a big elliptical mono to get in under the brush and the wide open space between soon. I've also got a 17" x 11" Nugget Finder that I'm using for that purpose now that's also a really nice coil, but in some areas the gold is just to deep for it.

Thanks for your input Pete in WA, much appreciated.

J.J.

Hi J.J

I'm pretty sure that not only western aus but most of the gold bearing areas in aus have some of the most highly mineralised ground in the world, we also have in west aus some very high salt levels on most of the ground out bush, and these combine to make it a nightmare at times.
The "salt gold" timings in the 4500 & 5000 certainly help but for all round best on the salt lakes here its still pretty hard to beat running a Coiltek Anti-interference coil in DD mode, but with that said the new "salt gold" timings in the 5000 are a whole lot better than the ones in the 4500..

Photo's of what the ironstone content looks like in the areas i work, note the very red coloured ground and the amount of ironstone gravels too..

100_0439.jpg

Guesswherethisspotis.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

And the type of gold it can produce below

IMG_3302.jpg

36grams-1.jpg

The GPX5000 has been out about 10 months here in Australia..

The Nugget-Tech 24x14 Mono is a very good quiet running coil, with very minimum if any touch sensitivity, covers heaps of ground for finding new patches and very deep large gold, its very easy to ground balance and needs a whole lot less re balancing than other brand coils in the same size range, it still "pings" to small sub grammers too, and has a very compacted instead of a broad signal response...

I personally dont use NF coils so i cant comment on those, but i do use some Coiltek coils and Minelab coils also.
The Coiltek coils are a good coil but for my style of detecting the goldstalker range tends to emit to much "touch-sens" for my liking on the 5000.....
My own personal all time favourite coils in the Coiltek range are the 10x5Joey Mono, and the 17x10 Mini UFO Mono...

Happy Swinging

Pete in WA

Thanks for the great photo's ! Man that is some really nasty looking ground ! I'm in transit so only have a minute. My Joey coil goes everywhere I go. I've just recently heard about that big elliptical Nugget-Tech coil, have they been around very long? And that is some beautiful gold Pete, especially that big beauty in your hand ! Gotta go mate. Thanks again for posting the photos and answering my questions. Will post again soon.

J.J.

J.J

The Nugget Tech coils have only been around for 6 months, they are a new brand built here in WA.
The people who make them have been building custom coils for the full time gold lease holders in kalgoorlie
for the last 20 years but now have gone public due to high demand.

https://www.nuggettech.com.au/eshop/