Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX park hunt,

Old California

Been a while using the GPX for park coins, with recent TDI success at our local parks thought I would switch to the GPX.

Spent about 40 minutes at one park scoring one wheat penny, ground was hard digging so packed up and went to another park. This second park has gave up gobs of deep coins with the TDI, today went with the GPX using the 5" x 10" DD Commander coil.

No discrimination Iron Reject Off, Gain at 15 with Stabilizer at 2 to help with EMI. Coin/Relic settings, Response Normal. This was different, Normally I've ran response at Inverted which changes the audio. High Conductive is now high/low and Low Conductive low/high with Inverted setting. But due to using the TDI so much, it's differcult changing over to the GPX using Inverted Response too confusing. So, Went back with normal response on the GPX audio is again the same as the TDI, high/low for low conductive low/high for high conductive.

Now, Operating with Iron Reject Off with the GPX is important in trashy park areas. I'm after deep signals, Iron Rejection only works to a certain depth. With Iron Reject Off, this greatly enhances the GPX audio to recover quicker in trashy areas. Allows me to get in-between the thick of trash for an open patch of ground masking a deep coin, Once in a while a good Pi will get that masked coin if using proper settings.

No silver surfaced today, but one Indian and three wheat pennies did. The coin's were down 8" to 9" inches, but hidden between trash these coins were masked our Minelab Explorers and top end VLF couldn't touch.

Just remember to turn off Iron Reject, Those that hunt old parks for deep coins. You'll be amazed what will surface, have patience with your Pi. It's taken me a few years to get accustomed to using Pi's at parks, now it's about all I use to get the last few hidden masked coins.

Good luck, Persistence will reward you.
Paul

In fields with the stock coil, I find that I have to dig a bit bigger hole to locate the target. How do you find the 5X10 when it comes to locating targets,and what technique do you use? I have seriously hesitated using a PI in parks for that reason.

The 5"x10" DD is a good coil for parks, and actually run it with no discrimination going after deeper weaker signals. Discrimination only works to a certain depth, and using no discrimination allows the GPX to operate with greater separation.

I've even used the stock 11" DD with no discrimination for parks, but prefer the smaller elliptical DD. Guess I have an edge, use a Periscope Probe Pi to help locate the target. Most parks have soft soil most of the year, this helps with locating deep coin signals. If I'm not using the Periscope Probe, it's because the ground to too dry.

Occasionally, Detect without the Periscope Probe.. With the elliptical 5"x10" DD, montion pinpointing isn't too bad. And only dig deep weak high conductive signals, iron does fool me, but occasionally an old coin will surface from areas our Minelab Explorers or Minelab 3030's missed.

Take care,
Paul

I recently got the Detech 15" DD spiral and the 18" DD open by Detech. In my testgarden I have a chunk of iron burried 8" deep with iron reject on 6 the stock 11" DD by ML will not null it out. But the 15" spiral will perfectly null it out. So I was eager to test the 18" and what a surprise, it will not give me a blanking signal. So it must be the spiral design that works well with the iron reject.

Thank you Hagen with sharing your experience with the Detect 15" Spiral, appreciate this.

Do like using my 15" Spiral, but the weight is too much unless the hip stick is connected. Occasionally, I'll mount the Spiral and detect farm land especially after a fresh plow. I'll need to experiment in area's laced with iron, maybe run a low sensitivity see if the Spiral can see hidden iron masked signals. Maybe this coming weekend, Your recent experiences are encouraging.

Thanks again ,
Paul

Paul,

I will do some further testing this weekend. I just got the pro sonic wireless audio for the GPX, that makes it MUCH more enjoyable. I will have an update by sunday. So far I do like the 15" Detech and with tha ProSwing45 it is not too heavy.

So I did some testing, it seems the Detech 15" DD spiral does a better job on iron reject than the 18" Detech DD open. I had a very solid 9" iron reject depth with the 15" . The 18" only gave me 6-7 inches. But the 18" is a depth monster. I dug buck shot well beyond 14" and a large nail 20" down with a killer signal.

Thanks for sharing Hagen,

That's good to hear the 15" Spiral discriminated deeper, I believe the Spiral has it's advantages especially for relic hunting.

Went out yesterday with the Spiral, Nothing good surfaced and only hunted for about 2 hours. Quick relic hunt, and a chance to use the Deus MI-6 pinpointer. With relic hunting, holes can get deep and a good pinpointer can help locate the direction of target. Especially small iron, they pinpoint off to the side sometimes.

Been using the Deus controller with the MI-6 pinpointer, auctally with most of my VLF including GPX and TDi. Helps with recovery, the MI-6 paired with the Deus controller is seriously deep. Without the controller, the MI-6 is not that deep.

Also, Remounted the GPX ground balance button on the lower handle stem with easy lower finger reach. Did this so the Deus controller is safely mounted above the handle. My TDI is setup the same, Both using a Mars shaft.

After packing up the yesterday's Hunt, went searching for arrowheads by foot along a creek. Was good getting out, fresh air and beautiful terrain.

Thanks again for sharing, it's encouraging seeing others press forward trying new equipment.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I like your GPX/Deus/MI-6 hybrid :)

A few days ago I took the GPX along with the Deus and CTX to a Celtic site in the woods near my house. My plan was to compare some signals in what I thought was clean soil. To my dismay I encountered a site that was very different. Apparently some time ago this area was visited not by Celtic warriors but by the US-Army. They left a thick carpet of 5.56 blanks along with other garbage behind. Right on top what used to be a Celtic grave site. Not much detecting there before I remove all modern military trash.

[attachment 346230 FB_IMG_1496831893637.jpg]

[attachment 346231 FB_IMG_1496831868570.jpg]

I also came across this blown bunker of the Westwall (Siegfried Line) which was blowen up after the war by the french who occupied the area for some time.
Not much to detect there since this bunker was never attacked but I will give it a shot one day, just to be sure.

[attachment 346233 FB_IMG_1496831834025.jpg]

Paul, going down to St. Augustine Florida next week, going down for 10 days with stops in Daytona and Panama City Beach. Torn between which detector or detectors to take. I was wondering about the GPX 5000, Minelab Sovereign GT, AT Pro, Nokta Relic, Impact and the Makro Racer 2. I have got way to many choices. What do you think of the GPX 5000? What would you take?

Wow! That's a hard decision to make. Depends on the type of hunting, and Florida ocean sand is not too mineralized if you hunt the wet sand so pretty much the Impact should do well there and definitely the Sovereign.

Impact and GPX? That's what I would take but even the Sovereign and Impact sounds good too for dry and wet Sand.

Relic hunting, definitely the Impact. I don't think mineralization will hurt you so you may not need the GPX?

Tough decision for sure, Impact and Sovereign?

Enjoy your trip, and hunts!
Paul