Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPXs: how to identify bad targets without digging them all.

Reggie

A couple of us with GPX's (one 4500 and one 5000) have made a couple of observations that we believe are true, but I would like to confirm these with other experienced operators:
1. The way we use our Ground Balance with Double D coils in trashy areas with lots of small nails and pieces of nails is to set the discrimination level at 5, trying to exclude most bits of nails and small iron. We note that moving the coil over the target in different directions (like spokes on a wagon wheel, with the target as the hub), if the target blanks in ANY direction, we believe the target is probably iron and can be excluded (unless you're looking for iron targets instead of ONLY buttons, brass, bullets and buckles).
2. We then dig towards the target, and If the signal is constant and only blanks when the coil is lowered very, very close to the target, it is worth digging (again, when looking only for BBB and B). A good pinpointer helps to determine whether the target is very close to the coil.

Even then, short stubby nails and bolts, nuts and chunks still seem to give a "good" BBB and B signal, and must be dug. Hence, we still dig a bunch of junk.

We don't want to leave a good target in the ground-whether high or low pitch-but don't want to spend our time and energy digging nails and bits of nails. We realize it's best to dig every beep in an ideal world, but we are trying to figure out how to best spend our time and labor for best results when looking for BBB and B.

Please feel free to offer REASONABLE observations about the MACHINES and how to use them without shooting the messenger! I realize that digging all targets might be ideal for some, but not for others. So you don't need to tell us that. :twodetecting:

I hunt with the GPX 4800 in a battle site and when the target sound starts or ends very abruptly I find it is usually trash.
It is a sound that does not have a start or and end. It will start off smooth but just cut off sharp or even the start is not smooth. All last winter I was experimenting calling the target either ferrous or non ferrous and was doing pretty good most times. It is not a perfect system but it does seem to be working ok. I still dig any target that does not blank hard because I am trying to clean out an area that I have been digging some really nice stuff in. Some targets are deep enough that there is no way a vlf could see them. One more thing I should add is that my ground is mildly mineralized. So far I have been blown away by the performance of the gpx machines.