Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GQ SS and GQ SS v2 coil question.

RKC

Are the Pulsepower mono coils made for the GQ SS (original model) and the mono coils made for the GQ SS v2, the same? Can I swap the coils between the detectors? For example, can I use my 11" Pulsepower mono coil, that came with my GQ SS (original model), on my GQ SS v2?

Regards,
Rob(RKC)

Hi Rob,

I believe the answer is no, they can't be swapped and work right without some modification to the connector wiring. One of the things done when modifying the design to use DD coils was to change the plug wiring. This makes the two coils slightly different.

Now, all that has to be done is to alter the wiring in the plug a little, but that would be a bummer each time you wanted to switch again.

An alternative is to simply modify the older control unit and coil so the wiring is identical to the newer design. Then everything would be the same and mono coils would work on either machine.

Reg

G'day Reg,

I might have a slight problem then ... my 11" black mono Pulsepower coil (that came with my original model GQ SS) gave up on me a few days ago and will not work. The coil is very noisy (very similar to what Fred says is happening to his coil in the "goldscan 5 and coiltec 17 inch dd pro" thread).My gear gets subject to some rough treatment so it might have been damaged in some way. My 8"coil and my large coil still work OK. So, I guess I'll just have to use them ... or use the GQ SS V2 mostly. I had hoped I could just simply switch over and use the 11"Pulsepower coil that came with my GQ SS V2.

Thanks,
Rob(RKC)

I should have added that I have an addaptor to enable me to use a DD coil on my GQ SS V2. So the plug that is on the box (of my GQ SSV2) is the same plug that is on the GQ SS (original model ) box. The coils can be pluged in OK on either detector ... but is it safe to do so?

Thanks,
Rob(RKC)

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't recommend trying the adapter on the original GQ SS. It simply isn't wired correctly for it to work. I doubt it would hurt anything but it wouldnt' work right either.

Now, as to your coil that is not functioning, I would look carefully at the coax from one end to the other to make sure it doesn't show any obvious damage. If nothing shows up, then the next thing I would check is the coil connector. Since it isn't working, you can't hurt it. Now, I would carefully take the connector apart and look at the wiring to make sure something odd hasn't happened. Excessive strain on the cable could cause the wire to break and I have found that usually happens at the connectors.

Finally, if you have a digital voltmeter, you might check the resistance of the coil to see if it about 9 to 10 ohms. While checking the resistance, you might flex the wire near the connector and see if this resistance changes. A significant change would indicate a cable problem.

Reg

Hi Don,

The connector is the same but the wiring on the connector is changed to accommodate the DD receive coil connection.

Reg

G'day Reg,

Thats very helpful ... thanks, you are worth your weight in gold! First thing in the morning I'll do the checks you suggest and I'll test the resistance of the coil with a voltmeter (which I do have). When I had problems once with my Aquapulse one of the first things the factory suggested to try was to test the resistance of the coil ... so as I've done it previously I should manage it OK (even being the complete dunce that I am when it comes to anything electrical).

Thanks again,
Rob(RKC)

The coils are the same, but as Reg. posted, the wiring in the plug needs to be changed to make the older Goldquest coils work on the newer version.

Perhaps the best bet would be to change over the wiring of the older coils to newer type, and re-wire the older Goldquest inside, like the newer one.

Mr. Bill

http://www.surfscanner.com

G'day Reg,

There is no obvious physical damage to my non-working coil. And I had an attempt at measuring the resistance ... but had some difficulty because of my voltmeter. I'm not going to be able to do any more for a week or so, as I'll be traveling. Later I will get an electrician to look at it and measure the resistance as you suggested. I can manage in the meantime as I always have a backup (plan B, which involves having spare coils and spare detectors).

I did have some problems recently with mud and grit getting into/on the coil plugs. I tried to clean out the plug holes at the time, but because the holes on the GQ SS plugs are so very small I'm not sure I did a particularly successful job of cleaning them out completely (I might need to purchase a small compressor to clean the plug holes by blowing the dirt out). If I knew a bit about electronics I might be tempted to change the Amphenol plugs on my GQ SS and GQ SS v2 to the type of microphone plugs used on the Minelab PIs, that are so much better.

Anyway thanks for the help,
And thanks for your post Mr Bill,
Rob(RKC)

Hi Rob,
Good to see you're still beeping, :wave: I've enjoyed reading your old posts.
If you're passing through Christchurch on your travels, I'd be happy to give you a hand with any mods etc., Just e-mail me.

Cheers
Kev

G'day Kev,

I've just recieved your email and will reply shortly (probably tonight if I can find an Internet cafe).

I'm in Taupo at present and heading your way ... I just hope this years mild South Island winter continues and does not turn nasty when I cross the Straight and arrive in Picton. The NIWA forcast is for the mild winter to continue ... so I have NIWA scientists to blame if it starts snowing when I arrive in the South Island.

Regards,
Rob (RKC)

Hi Rob,

What is better, in your opinion, about the Minelab type connectors? In view of what you say, I guess the larger pins are one plus point. The plugs and sockets that Minelab use, are of good quality, with gold plating on the pins/receptacles. There are similar types available here, but the quality is inferior and no gold plating.

Plugs and sockets are a critical component in a PI metal detector, any poor connection will generate noise and instability. It has to carry both the pulse current from the transmitter and conduct the microvolt signals coming back from an object. They must also be mechanically durable, and survive dust, grit and moisture. Metal bodied connectors also give a good degree of electrical shielding to the "live" pins, to minimise noise. The body has, of course, to be grounded to do this.

Regarding the Amphenol connectors, I have used these since around 1990, and have experienced very few problems. The most likely fault is that the coil connector is never unscrewed from the one on the box. If the detector is a beach machine, this can result in seized threads, from salt corrosion. I alway recommend unscrewing the coil connector reasonably frequently, brushing the threads off with an old toothbrush, and giving a LIGHT smear of WD40.

There is no problem with changing to a ML style connector, except that the panel hole is smaller and you will need to make a bush to take up the slack.

Eric.

Hi Eric,
I know you're asking Rob for his thoughts, but since I'm also a kiwi and experience the same problems he does, antipodean isolation and all that, I'll offer my tuppence worth.

I have tried all over NZ to get connectors like what you have used, and ended up with ziltch. I didn't even consider using Digikey etc., since they stung me $60 US for shipping and tax on the last small order, incidently $60 US is what I earn before tax for half a days work. Anyway enough moaning, (I was born in Yorkshire, good moaners we Yorkies) when I started making DD coils I needed a 4 way socket and plug, so the best economical option was the good old cheap microphone socket and plug. Minelab use these on their IB units, I've used a Sovereign since the very early 90's with no problems at all, oh actually, come to think of it, the chrome is a bit thin on the thread now and is a bit stiff to screw up.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/997i0.jpg

On the GQ I use some heavy duty shrinkwrap over the plug, and it's been good even in the rain, although I'm thinking of getting a boot to go over it when I head over to the Coast.

It's comforting to know you use quality components Eric, but it's a bit hard to keep it up downunder!

Cheers
Kev.