Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Grand Master Hunter questions..

willy

I'll be getting an early (198:geek: GMH for my buddy Cliff (hopefully he'll like it; he found the Ace 250 to be too complicated) but it doesn't have a battery holder.. anyone know where I can get one? Also, I'm wondering what coils can directly attach to it and which ones can be used after changing the end. Anyone? ...Willy.

Yeah, the first thing that I would do is to call Garrett:garrett: They'll probably give ya the battery pack IF they have any in stock. I know that the old Grand Master Hunters like mine(original)have a battery box that is not compatible with the CX Plus and vice versa. It looks the same to me. I'm not exactly sure why or how it's different. Maybe someone else will chime in with some info.

Another alternative in case Garrett doesn't have any, would be to call a place that specializes in working on older detectors and see if they have any in stock/for sale. I know of two such places.

http://www.brokendetector.com/ East Texas Metal Detectors 903-734-7773

http://p r o s t o c k d e t e c t o r s.com/ 269-685-1776

You also might want to ask on this vintage metal detector forum
http://members6.boardhost.com/classicdetector/index.html?1172512320

Best of luck to ya!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

How do you find the performance of the GMH compares to your other detectors? I'm kinda curious. Also, does it have ground tracking or does it just take an initial ground reading and stick with that? ..Willy PS.. thanks for the info.

willy said:
How do you find the performance of the GMH compares to your other detectors? I'm kinda curious. Also, does it have ground tracking or does it just take an initial ground reading and stick with that? ..Willy PS.. thanks for the info.

Original Grand Master Hunter(198:geek:is not quite as deep as the machines that have Powermaster or DSP technology, but still good. I enjoy swingin' it around from time to time. It works as well as it did when I first got it over twenty years ago. The recovery time sucks. Discrimination is great. I really love that dual range discrimination(ferrous/non-ferrous). I find it's easier to swing with a larger search coil on it compared to my other machines, due to it's low center of gravity and being so well balanced.

The original GMH does not have ground tracking. The CX models do. Original GMH has a manual ground balancing(which I actually prefer). CX models have manual or automatic ground balancing(Fast Track) ground tracking.

Oh yeah, as far as search coils go, GMH takes all of the Crossfire search coils(NOT Crossfire ll)as well as the 7"x10" Elliptical Rhinotough and 10"x14"DD for CX. Crossfire searchcoils include 4.5", 8.5", 5"x10"DD, & 12.5". It can also use the depth multiplier/two-box attachment unit.

Feel free to ask for advice at any time.:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)