Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Graphite Search Coil

A

Anonymous

Has anyone heard of a solid graphite PI coil? I remember reading a newspaper article many years ago which described the hunt for a jet engine which had fallen from an aircraft into the sea. Mention was made of the engine being found by using a new metal detector which had a solid graphite coil?

Hi Dave,
Graphite loaded paint is sometimes used as a coil shield. Whites use a conductive plastic for some of their search head shells.
I supplied a couple of boat towed detectors to General Electric some years ago to locate turbine parts that fell into the sea from a jet engine that blew up. No graphite in my coils though. One crew member on the boat was quite impressed. He was leaning over the side when his glasses fell off and into the sea. On a pass one day a signal was obtained, which when recovered, was found to be the lost specs.
Eric.