Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gray Ghost Amphibian for Garrett Products - Not Impressed at All

-
Yesterday I received Gray Ghost Amphibian - Underwater Headphones for Garrett products. I have read several reviews praising these headphones and thought that I would give them a try.

I have the AT Pro and the ATX and do saltwater beach detecting with 80% of my time in dry sand (AT Pro) and 20% on the wet sand and in the saltwater (ATX).

I used these headphones today for a total of 25 minutes with my AT Pro in dry sand. These $150.00 headphones sounded a lot worse than my $35.00 original Garrett headphones. The sounds from these headphones sounded muffled and flat like I was 50 feet under water. The tones on different metals are NOT sharp, loud, pronounced, and distinct. The volume does not get very loud and very little distinction between the tones of different metals. The tones are flat sounding, not sharp.

I don't know if I received a defective set of headphones or what. All I know is the original headphones that came with my Garrett detectors totally out perform the Gray Ghost Amphibian that I received. I never even attempted to try them on my ATX.

I just finished the repackaging of the headphones, applied the return label, and they are going back to Amazon tomorrow at no expense to me.

Totally disappointed with Gray Ghost Amphibian.

Any suggestions on another brand would be appreciated, although I may need to purchase an adapter to be able to use a standard headphone jack.

I saw a video by jc digger and he did a air test with the stock and water proof Garrett head phones . The waterproof beat the stock average 2 inches. I own both and plan on trying this test. I can find a lot of opinions on line but no manufactures comparison test? If one brand was so great you would think they would advertise the resaults. I have using the stock in the woods because I did not want to chance breaking the higher price head phones . If the water proof are that much better I'm going to use them , I wonder if I have been missing a lot of targets?
He also said he did not like the Gray Ghost , He Did not mention testing them. Hearing test machines have been around a long time , test comparisons should be made next to price.
So Cal , let e know if you find any actual machine test resaults ,
HH

A while ago I wrote in saying the same thing...the Grey Ghost Amphibs were disappointing to me. Now, I was comparing them to the Garrett Master land phones, not the Garrett blues. I felt the Amphibs beat the blues a little on sound quality and a lot on the fit; however, I thought the Amphibs would be less of a "tinny" sound. Underwater, I use the Amphibs; but on dry land, the Garrett Master's are my go to.

aj

-
Thanks Guys ... maybe I am expecting too much from waterproof headphones.

I was hoping to find a quality set of headphones for in and out of the water. I really don't go under the water, but I wanted a waterproof set when that occasional rogue wave hits you and knocks your headphones off.

I really like the sound and sound intensity of the Garrett Master's that came with the AT Pro & ATX, although I was expecting the sound to get even better with a high quality constructed set that would also be waterproof.

Maybe the Amphibian's are better compared to other underwater headphones. And I would imagine when detecting underwater, you are not listening for different tones from different metals, you are scooping anything that makes a sound. When using the ATX, you need to hear a clear sharp intense tone of those deep whispers. My brief time using the Amphibian's with the AT Pro, I don't believe that I would be able to pick up or hear very deep whispers like I can with the Garrett Master's.

I think that I will stick with the Garrett Master's because most of my detecting is in dry sand. It would be better for me to hear all deep quality targets using the Garrett Master's and just purchase another $50 set if or when they get shorted out by water.

I've been using the Garrett blues...I have found some pretty small gold, .4gr...they seem to be fine except they are uncomfortable so a guy has to wear a hat...I cut the plug off the stock Garrett blacks that came along with the Pro and soldered on a 90 degree fitting and use them on my F70...they seem to work fine on it too..

I have never tried any other phones but have been thinking about the GG's...now, after reading your post, I dont think I'm missing too much if anything...it will be some good Winter research...:thumbup:
Mud

Yesterday, I originally posted this thread on the DetectorPro Products Forum and some Moderator moved it to Forum Feedback.

I believe that was done so no one would see my review. So I posted it again on this forum.

I find that totally tacky protecting their sponsors from real life experiences with DetectorPro products!!

-
I posted this thread about my experience with the Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones for Garrett products and this thread was moved twice with no explanation.

I started this thread on the DetectorPro Forum on November 16, 2014, and it was moved to the Feedback Forum.

So I posted this thread again on the Garrett AT Pro & AT Gold Forum, and it was moved again to this Metal Detecting Forum.

So I did some research on the Internet and found this.....

NEW ITEM: Gray Ghost Amphibian for Garrett AT Series & Infinium

So I guess Garrett and DetectorPro could not handle an honest review from me and comments from other people's postings about Garrett & DetectorPro's joint venture with the Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones.

By moving my thread and me posting it twice has doubled my comments about the Gray Ghost Amphibians for anyone searching the Internet about information on the Gray Ghost Amphibians. Stuff Happens!!