Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gray Ghost Amphibians - Disappointed

ajaj

Well, I've used them several times recently (land only, no water) and, quite frankly, I am not impressed. In my opinion, there seems to be little difference between them and the Garrett underwater ones (the "blues"). They sound very similar. Now, I don't know which one is more durable (both are working correctly), but I'm finding it hard to justify double the price. I guess I was expecting them to sound similar to the Garrett land headphones, but they're not even close. The volume control could be nice, and they seem a little louder at full than the blues, but, again, not worth double the price. Not trying to bash Gray Ghost ; I understand they make excellent headphones and they will continue to provide quality products to detectorists. Any thoughts?

aj

Well for me they were well worth the price. Why? I am very hard of hearing and the standard AT-Pro phones did not have a volume control. The addition of the volume control alone was worth it for me. Beale.

Beale said:
Well for me they were well worth the price. Why? I am very hard of hearing and the standard AT-Pro phones did not have a volume control. The addition of the volume control alone was worth it for me. Beale.

The standard head phones that came with my AT Pro has dual volume control.
Maybe I'm missing something here.

Night Crawler: The standard Garrett land headphones do have two volume controls. The Garrett "blues" I was referring to are waterproof and do not have volume controls. They sound different from the land headphones due to the "waterproofing" structure and subsequent wiring. In my opinion they don't sound as "full" as the land version. Grey Ghost advertised their waterproof headphones as sounding much better than the Garrett blues due some different wiring technique. My post was that, in my opinion, the Grey Ghosts don't seem like much of an improvement over the Garrett blue, soundwise. Not many people have commented on it, though, despite the hugely enthusiastic past posts regarding their announcement of their pending release.

aj

I can't say that I agree at all. The blues creak and the wind noise in them is almost intolerable. The Amphibs are great at blocking a lot of the wind noise and the sound quality is head and shoulders above the blues. Now to the comfort. The blues constantly fall of my head. The Ampibs are nice and snug and I can bend over without them falling off. The earmuffs are soft and feel great on my ears. The blues make them hurt after a while. The Amphibs have a longer wire on them so I can set my detector down and not turn it over when I move a bit. I love my Amphibs and hope I never have to go back to the stock 'phones or the blues. Both are serviceable but not anywhere near the Ampibs in sound quality or comfort. JMHO!!

I do agree that the fit is better; more snug and comfortable. This tends to block out surrounding noises very well. My "problem" was that I think I set my expectations to overall sound quality too high;i.e., I was expecting them to sound more similar to the land phones. Hence my self-inflicted,pathetic disappointment.

aj

I bought a set of the submersible gray ghosts and really like them except they are so snug they hurt my ears. I haven't been underwater with them yet, but love using them at the river. I've never used the blue headphones, but next year if I can afford a sea hunter I will get the blues just so I can go deeper if I have to than the 30 foot limit with the gray ghost. I like the stock headphones that came with the At/Pro but they kept falling apart on me and I dropped them several times and that was my fault, but they still work great. I just want to go at least 10 feet deep this fall and early spring and I hope the gray ghost will pay for themselves then.

Hope no one minds my question, I was thinking of getting a pair of Gray Ghosts as a Christmas present, have read many good posts about them. I will not be taking them under water (at least intentionally) so my question is, do they have better sound than the stock Pro head phones? The non waterproof stock headphones fit my head well, and I find them to be pretty comfortable. I am comfortable enough with them to use them in the rain, a longer cord would be nice, but I can buy an extension. Not sure I couldn't find a better Christmas present, if the sound is only marginally better, maybe the sniper coil, maybe a back up propointer. Are there Gray Ghosts for the Pro, that are not waterproof, with better sound? My hearing is not excellent. Any thoughts/opinions most welcome. Artie

My opinion only...I think the Garrett land headphones sound much better than the Garrett "blues" and the Gray Ghost Amphibians. Others may chime in with better land headphones (e.g., Grey Ghost).

ajaj said:
My opinion only...I think the Garrett land headphones sound much better than the Garrett "blues" and the Gray Ghost Amphibians. Others may chime in with better land headphones (e.g., Grey Ghost).

Really?? If that's the case, I'll be glad to trade you a set of brand new Garrett Land 'phones for those shabby old Amphibs. PM me and I can have them in the mail tomorrow!!

I have only used the new Gray Ghost Amp twice while hookah diving and I was not impressed with the sound under the water. (vol wide open) I have not tested
the difference between the blue ones and the Gray Ghost in the same situation but will have to do that.

I'm just trying to get a comparison on the Gray Ghosts versus stock land headphones. does anyone know if Gray Ghost makes land head phones for the Pro, or just the Amphibs? Tyhank you, Artie

The Amphibs are actually made by DetectorPro for Barry at Extreme Detecting. They added some features like better speakers, volume control, larger guage wiring. You can check out the whole DetectorPro lineup on their website. I have a set of the Grey Ghost Underwaters, the Jolly Rogers and the Amphibs, All quality 'phones, IMHO!!

While the standard AT-Pro Phones did in fact come with Volume control on each muff. The sound was tinny to my ear and your choice was stero or mono. I tried both and found it lacking for my left ear. The Cord was short also, I had issues with setting the AT-Pro down and setting it aside to dig. The Amphibians have an unreal leangth of coil. I can set the Pro down, and put it well to the side and dig. I love the sound! I love the length of coil, Beale.

I got the Grey Ghosts Amphibs with the intention of using underwater, which I have not gotten around to doing yet. I use them on my AT Pro all the time now. I can only compare then to the stock land garrets. I think the sound is different than the stock headphones, maybe not better (brassier sound with the Ghosts?) , but they do keep out surrounding noise better. I feel they fit better, stay in place. I like that I can hunt in the rain with them and I intend to leave them on the AT Pro all the time. The only negative was I felt they were a little hotter to wear than the stock land garrets and I assume this is because of the waterproof design and materials (also why they cut out surrounding noise). I like the idea of leaving an all-around pair of headphone on the detector all the time. I like them, my 2 cents.

HH-