Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great, we need another "reality" detecting show with more "big personalities"...:rolleyes:

yeah I kind of wish our hobby wasn't getting so much publicity. Most likely will bring in careless new hunters that might jeopardize it for all of us when parks are left with unfilled holes.

Yep, that's exactly what happened not far from where I live here in OZ. Some newies came along and detected on the local football field and dug about 100 holes. When caught they told police they thought it would be a good place to search for gold nuggets. Cost the council over $1000 to repair the damage and got the real prospectors who don't do those things a bad name in the district. Its like those bargain/antique hunter shows. You used to be able to go to op shops and buy some good old things, just for yourself to have in your home, but now with so many people seeing those shows, the greedies buy them to put on ebay and other places to sell for high prices. Now these shops have doubled or tripled their prices on things. Those shows might be entertaining for some but all it does is make the producers of them a whole lot of cash and stuff things up for everyone else.

Those are good points.

These shows give those who have never detected a distorted perspective, i.e., treasure is everywhere and it's practically jumping out of the ground.

I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, but a new show called Dig Wars is coming out soon. The response their has been pretty much the same as they have been for the other shows out there.

I posted these comments on another forum. This is my rant about these new shows!

Well, it has finally happened!
I wondered how long before the fallout would begin and am now experiencing the problems related to "reality shows" and metal detecting.
Use to be I could go to any park and metal detect without questions or issues.
Three times this weekend I was told I could no longer detect in the local city parks because of "issues" with folks and metal detectors.
Or let me say it like this. I can detect, I just cannot dig! And in one park I would be allowed to detect and "cut a plug" but anything that was found, and I mean ANYTHING, would have to be turned over to the city park's department.
Really?!
Looks like I will be back to researching private grounds again and hope that the "reality shows" have not hit the private sector yet!
My posts are few, but I have been detecting since the early 70s and never had problems until now.
Gotta love the TV shows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at a nearby garage sale recently. I started talking to the couple about detecting there. The mrs was amenable but the mr said "oh no, I've seen what you guys find, I'm getting a detector myself."

I offered to share my extra detector and tried to chat a bit with him, but the whole tone of his response was that he thought his yard was full of treasure. The "I've seen what you guys find" told me what he had been watching on TV.

But on the upside, I keep in mind that these shows are not widely watched by the public and I don't let a response like that dissuade me from approaching someone else. The detecting shows are on smaller cable channels and the percentage of viewers compared to the population is extremely small.

As Songdog said, these shows also bring a lot of people into the hobby with no instruction and often no desire to dig it right. After a few hours at the old park in town, a few modern coins, and a ton of trash, the delusions of riches are gone. But the divots and scarred landscape they leave behind live on to be discovered later by park personnel. And I guess we all know what the kneejerk city gov't response too often is. It's much easier to solve the problem by banning detecting than try to go after the actual culprits. Tell everybody no and you don't have to worry about anyone spending time figuring out who is damaging the grounds and who isn't.

Unfortunately, the shows aren't going away.:thumbdown: I know Diggers had good enough ratings to be renewed for a second season, so the viewers are there. I hadn't heard of the show Gary mentioned, but in last month's W&E they mentioned a new one later this year with Bill Ladd called Dig Fellas.

Let's hope this TV trend runs its course soon...

Swamp people, Diggers, Pig chasers etc.. Come on I have had enough of this... The guy who eats everything .Jersey Housewives, Critter catchers... On and On and On.........

.....................it's time. Even National Geographic has lost dignity...

I view those "Reality Shows" as being far from reality. At least the reality that I have live thru for 72 plus years. I find some of them to be slightly amusing due their distance from reality. I watched one episode of "Diggers" and Part of another episode. Got so sick of their stupid, Idiotic antics that I changed the channel. A few days later I was invited by a lady to detect their one acre lot where their home stood. The husband looked at me and said " I would prefer that you do not. I have seen that show on television." I could not convince him that I was not an IDIOT like the two IDIOTS on Tv. Supposedly during the "Late Unpleasantness" Confederate forces camped on the property. Definite do not plan on watching any Metal Detecting shows that purport to be reality.

Elton, my friend, I agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately the kiddies like 'em.

But if you are over 49, you are not part of the desired demographic audience.

Which means, to the advertisers, you are nobody,

I've never seen any shows on detecting nor do I want to. I'm 25 years old and I love detecting. I fill my holes and try to make the best possible plug when digging. These shows are making the idiots of my generation come out and ruin everything.

To deal with the park situations. I hunt at elementary schools. The playgrounds, baseball fields, football fields, and basketball courts are all used as parks during the weekend. Now that schools are out for the summer give them a try I've been very successful there.

Whoever supports these shows is hurting the hobby regardless of who stars in them (whether it be forum moderators,administrators etc.....). The end result will always be the same (private landowners will so no more frequently and the parks will be closed due to newbies making a mess). These so called small cable networks get millions of viewers (just look at Duck Dynasty). I guess we can all sit at home under the air conditioners.

A "professional" review by a non detectorist
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/dig-wars-much-hooping-and-hollering/

The last paragraph in the review pretty much sums it up...and applies to most "reality shows' IMO.

These shows are anything but reality....more so in the forced and fairly obviously made up dialogue...which ruins it for me.
Just shut the hell up and dig...you ain't funny!