Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Greek coin from 466 BC

Tbone1

Well just a replica. Found one early in the week in a little park I hunt at. Yesterday in another section of the park I found another. Someone is losing their replicas! Anyway I just thought it was kind of weird finding two. Both about 4 inches. Rang up at 91 on the D2.

Attachments

• IMG_4164.jpg
    IMG_4164.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 76
Neat find, real or fake!!!

I’ll post a pic of the obverse a little later.
If you look close at the pic I shared the word copy is visable.
I looked online and found a place I could buy one for 10 bucks!
Wouldn’t that be awesome if it were genuine!
I live on an island up here in the Pacific NW.
I’d be singing that song by Whit Hill “How’d This Get Here”
And if you aren’t familiar with her and her CD I Dug It Up check it out.

Really cool find.
I heard of people. Possibly old disgruntled detectorist planting things like this. Just get your goat. I've actually thought about it with a box of inexpensive gold rings. Hey still be a fun find. 😁

Really cool find.
I heard of people. Possibly old disgruntled detectorist planting things like this. Just get your goat. I've actually thought about it with a box of inexpensive gold rings. Hey still be a fun find. 😁
Interesting thought .
However in my small town I have never seen anyone else detecting . Ever.
I’m almost 72 and been here all my life.
Not saying there couldn’t be others doing it but I’ve never seen them.
And I’m out sometimes early and late with a headlamp when the days are shorter

This is a coin that I dug close to the grounds of a prestigious university in the late 1970’s.It came out of the ground slick and shiny like silver(electrum?).In those days before the internet, I searched the local library for information and found a Greek history book published in 1955 that showed this coin with a smooth obverse with a symbol of a numeral one flanked by a pair of wings and value of $500.It was several years later before I looked at a magnified image of my coin and realized that it also had that mint mark.I have searched for years off and on,but have yet to find another,copy or real.I did mail images to a professor at the University of Toronto and she verified its existence but noted that it would be highly unlikely that I would have one.Yet,it’s not marked“copy” or “ silve/925” or any thing else.Is it real?I have no idea but would really like to know….

Attachments

• 9DE585A0-6A72-43A9-8585-2B20502A2B58.jpeg
    9DE585A0-6A72-43A9-8585-2B20502A2B58.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 6F64F4F7-0859-4957-AD3A-A80A5682B0D5.jpeg
    6F64F4F7-0859-4957-AD3A-A80A5682B0D5.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 63