Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Greener Living, More Noise.

Eric Foster

I have converted one of my rooms at home into a supplimentary workshop for PI tests and experiments. Here I have been working on a low noise front end but was puzzled as to why the noise level went up considerably in the late evening. Changing the coil orientation did nothing as did neither switching off computers and TV etc. Anyway, the bulb in my bench light needed replacing, so I got one of the 15W energy saving bulbs that we are now encouraged to use instead of the filament type. Switching the light on to examine some parts on the circuit board caused the noise to almost double. I then went round the house switching off all the lights which are of the energy saving type. The noise dropped right off, which explains why it always happened late evening. The final noise source turned out to be the energy efficient central heating boiler. Off this went and the detector threshold was now as smooth as silk. Looking at this noise on the scope, it has a mushy noise envelope which seems to repeat in sympathy with the line frequency, and I assume that the wiring and piping around the house radiates it like an antenna. Hence I couldn't get rid of it by changing the coil orientation. Also I could detect the noise from lightbulbs downstairs at the other end of the house. I use energy saving bulbs in my bench lights at my main workshop which maybe accounts for some of the noise I get there. Just something to look out for if you do home experimenting on PI detectors.

Eric.

They also mess with head as well, and your eyes.
I'm not a fan of them at all.
To much UV out of them.

How can they be "greener" with Mercury and Phosphor in them?

Those LED lamps are expensive.......:surprised::stretcher:

Tony.