Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Greetings, fellow Civil War buffs and writers

yankeewriter85

Greetings, all. Coolidge here. No, that's not my real name, but after some weird Internet situations, I've decided to just offer that as my name. Anyway, I am very excited to find this new Civil War forum on Find's. It looks like a great website in general, and an even better form specifically. I guess I can start out by briefly saying a few things about myself. I hail from Michigan, although I was born in Virginia and lived there well into my elementary years. I have a degree in history from a university in Virginia; I have self-published two novels about the war, one of which is a historical fiction novel about Gettysburg, and which has done modestly well. It is more about the experiences of the Gettysburg civilians, and the soldiers who I do talk about in the novel are the ones who were born and raised in Pennsylvania, one of them in Gettysburg itself (and he a Confederate, believe it or not). I deeply enjoyed researching, writing, editing, and promoting the book, and hope that maybe it can do a bit better after sharing it on websites such as this.

My favorite battle to study is, of course, Gettysburg, but I think I would have to say that Chancellorsville, Antietam, and Chickamauga are not far behind. They are incredibly fascinating too. Vicksburg was also an amazing battlefield/siegefield to study, although I have only had the honor of seeing it once. Petersburg, on the other hand, I have seen multiple times, and the Crater still blows me away, even though I first saw it when I was a kid because my dad had worked in Petersburg for a while. I love Lee and Lincoln equally, probably because I was born in Virginia but have lived more than half of my life in the North too. I guess you could say I'm kind of schizophrenic, but it helps me to see the war from both sides, which helps my writing.

As for relics, I have a pretty sizable collection of relics and souvenirs, mostly Minie balls and the like--including a box of them that an old codger from Richmond gave me back when I used to visit there with my father--although I have absolutely nothing compared to one fellow I know here in rural Michigan who has even gotten writeups in newspapers because of how amazing his collection is, which actually takes up a whole floor of his house. That's not even counting all the books and paintings he has too. I think I have like 100 books on the Civil War, but I would like to get more. I think it is great how people like you all preserve our past in a day and age when people care more about fashions and sports and the like, but I suppose that's true of every generation. Anyway, I work at a small college tutoring students in English and social studies, especially history, and am pleased to see how often I get to tell them about the Revolution and the Civil War. I wish I could do more. Keep up the good work, all of you.

Welcome aboard Yank.....I mean Reb.........umm, whatever you are. Fellow AMERICAN, there we go. :lol:

Welcome to the forum but you can not sell your wares on the discussion forums. You will also have to edit your signature line as well. Only sponsors are allowed to sell in the forums and advertise in their signature lines.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your CW discussions and posts. Remember what Larry (IL) said above. Thanks. CCH

Fair enough. Thank you for letting me know. I was a little hesitant to post those, but I saw that someone else had posted a fairly lengthy list of Civil War websites, and I felt emboldened, haha. I won't again unless someone messages me privately and asks. I appreciate the welcomes from all three of you and look forward to seeing what this forum has to offer. Some of the artifacts and relics people have been posting are really interesting. My personal favorite so far is the Prussian coin carved into a regimental emblem. Very cool.

Thanks for your cooperation. Welcome again. CCH.

Hello back there billy yank, look forward to reading more of your post, Hank

Alabama, about 50 south east of Shiloh, me and my son enjoy reading history of the civil war so I will have to get one of your books, HH, Hank

Awesome. Alabama is a beautiful state. I miss the South a lot. I loved Shiloh the time or two that I got to see it. Glad to hear you and your son bond through reading about the war. My father and I did too. And you're more than welcome to. No pressure. Email me if you want more information. Take care, Hank.