Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Grey Ghost headphones or Others

gabbyhayes

I have been contemplating purchasing a set of Grey Ghost or Killer B's or one of the other Detectorist specific headphones.
I been doing a little research and I don't have the luxury of being able to try any of these.
Looking for any opinions both good and bad. What do you like in terms of comfort or not.
This might open up a can of worms because I'm sure everyone has a bias but that is ok.
Thanks

Gabby, I prefer headphones with leather ear cups. I do not believe that any Detector Pros come with anything but synthetic.. The Killer b's that I have owned have had leather and are extremely comfortable. Both sound good and both have great warranties with outstanding customer service.

I have a pair of Grey Ghost Original's that I use with my ATPro and I really like them. Good sound and very comfortable. I also have a pair of Sun Ray Pro Gold's for my CTX and they are awesome.

I bought a used pair of grey ghost headphones and i like em.. they are much better than the junkers i was using. Many like the sunrays best ,rarely ever any negative comments on them but i haven't used them my self...

Love my grey ghosts! Haven't tried any others except the stock AT headphones but the grey ghosts are awesome (and waterproof).

I'm surprised that, of all the answers you've gotten so far, that no critical comments on the latest issues of Grey Ghosts have come forward. Because in recent years, GG's have gone down hill in their sound quality. The crisp tones that the older ones were known for are now muffled like cheaper headphones. This is a common lament on other threads on the subject, so I'm surprised no one has come on with a negative comment yet .

The ones I got had come from a private seller (advertised as never used). He, in turn, had gotten them from a reputable dealer (hence they were not Chinese knock-offs). As soon as the guy got them, he had compared them in air-tests, and found them to be lacking in sound quality. So he promptly floated them for sale on the classifieds. I in turn bought them, because I was happy with GG's I got 10+ yrs. earlier. But THIS pair had noticably poor sound. The seller let me return them fortunately.

I turned around and got a pair of killer B's instead, and am much happier with the sound they give. I posted my reviews on a thread, and found several others that all uniformly say this shift had occurred in just the recent years. Hence I would go with sunrays or killer B's.

Thanks for all your posts.
I think my choice will be either the Sunrays or the Killer B's
The leather muffs are more desirable for me.
I have seen on a post somewhere that with one of the headphones a user was able to turn off his headphone completely when he used his pinpointer.
That sounds like a feature that would really be something I'd use.
I don't seem to see any mention of this feature in the literature from the manufacturers.
Not sure if this might have been a mod???
Does anyone have this feature.
Thanks Again

On the Sunrays...Think you would just be able to hit the mode switch and would turn them off?

quote=gabbyhayes]
I have seen on a post somewhere that with one of the headphones a user was able to turn off his headphone completely when he used his pinpointer.
I don't seem to see any mention of this feature in the literature from the manufacturers.
Thanks Again[/quote]

White's also sells a very good pair of headphones. They are the ProStars and if buying new , I believe they are life time warranty. GS

I have a set of grey ghost originals bought in 2011, I bought a pair of Sunray pro golds last year. I can't hear the difference between them. Regardless, I do like the pro gold better, they are a little less bulky and the fit is more comfortable for me. The leather muffs are nice too!

I love the Grey Ghost DMCs on my Nautilus IIBa as it really brings out the sweet modulate disc. tone on deep coins!

I use the Killer B II headphones. They work extremely well for me even with my lousy hearing.. You can not beat the customer service.

gabbyhayes said:
Thanks Again

The Detector Pro headphones have the switch you are talking about. I didn't use it at first but I find it very practical now. In fact, if I was to change my headphones I would look for this feature. I'm often found detecting in parks where dogs are sometimes found with no leash. I want to hear what's going on around me when I'm crouched down with my pin pointer. It's just like unplugging the headphones from the detector. It kills the sound completely, no buzz, no feedback.

RLOH said:
Gabby, I prefer headphones with leather ear cups. I do not believe that any Detector Pros come with anything but synthetic.. The Killer b's that I have owned have had leather and are extremely comfortable. Both sound good and both have great warranties with outstanding customer service.

Definitely Killer B's. Great quality and I prefer the tone over the GG phones.

I do not like to cover both ears so I much prefer the Detector Pro Rattlers. Rattlers also have that switch that everyone is talking about. The switch is actually for making the wiring match your detector. One way matches some Detectors and the other matches different detectors. When the switch is the wrong way there is no sound. I think that regardless of what brand you buy I would look for this switch because it allows the headphones to work on any detector. I never thought about using the switch to better hear my pinpointer but it is an excellent option. Very happy with the Rattlers.