Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Griding for a search - How ?

FrankG

I also posted this to the beach & water detector forum buy accident!

I'm probably not the only one curious about how various people grid for a search so I thought I'd ask in a separate topic. I've never gridded myself except for making some guidelines lines in the sand at volleyball courts. I typically like to use the lines on a soccer or football field as a general guide as well.

So as a learning experience, I'm wondering about the mechanics how different folks grid... i.e. do you use something like a chalk line or string or scribe some sort of lines in the ground? How large an area do you typically grid at a time and how small/dense do you make the grid. That sort of info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

tennis balls, 5x8, 4x6, 6x8, whatever's comfortable for you, even 10x10, or ping pong balls, filled with a litle silicone for weight, many other ways. Just a few i use. Other times i will get my bearings from a tree, post, work from that. other ideas let me know

Snow is great for griding in the winter....I use my footprints.

Wet sand I again use my footprints....sometimes drag a line with the side of my foot every 20'if there are too many footprints.

Dry sand I use two 16" lengths of wire with a small plastic flag attatched at the top(similar to a surveyers flag).I set a flag at each end of my grid and move it each time I make a pass. If I forget the flags I use drift wood on the beach.

Parks with fences I use fence poles as markers.

Grass I use long handle screw drivers with bright handles and move them as I do the flags in sand (if the ground is soft I have used the flags).Tennis balls work great as well.....dogs like them though....so do kids.:rofl:

Night hunts I use glow in the dark markers.