Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground balance/coil tuned to detector

Neil

Ive read several times about people sending in their detector with a coil to have the coil tuned to the detector.

Ive also read that a machine with a ground balance will tune the available coils to the detector.

Can anyone elaborate on either of these two statements?

Ive never sent one in to have the coil tuned to the detector. Ive used both ground balance tesoros and tesoros with no ground balance and I don't really think Ive seen any difference when switching coils on either type so what is the noticeable difference?

Thank you,
Neil

OK.
So you have two types of tesoros, which are the only beep and digs I've used so I'll use them as an example.
I won't go too much into science but just the facts.

So there are two types of machines. Ones with ground balance knobs on the face that users can adjust and ones that don't. The ones that don't are referred to as turn on and go. They are factory set ground balance machines that are intended to work in most mild to medium ground.
Like frequency switches on some of the machines the coil size affects the way it's balanced to the ground.

So as far as modern machines by Tesoro you have the turn in and go/internal ground balance machines:
Compadre
Silver Micromax
Cibola
Deleon
Cortes (all metal GB can be changed but the disc mode GB is factory set)

These detectors are designed for ease of use and turn on, set threshold and sensitivity and discrimination for the targets you're looking for.
While able to switch coils on all but the compadre it has an affect on the ground balance

Then comes the ground balance adjustable machines:
Vaquero
Outlaw
Tejon

Theseachines are also able to switch coils but are also able to be perfectly balanced by user to the specific coil.
This also allows for more effective tweaking like power balancing and just setting a bit more negative or positive for different applications. They are more complex but become simple with understanding and practice and understanding.

As I said the turn on and go detectors work very well in most ground and can even change coils to a size up or down most times without much issue, but are limited to more mild ground.
Especially if hunting mineralized soil like some black sand and areas you won't be able to balance it to the ground you're hunting for more specialized types of ground.

With the ground balance units, no matter where you hunt, withing reason, you can tune the detector to balance out hot rocks, black sand, and some magnetic types of rocks and ground.

So for example my Deleon and compadre work great for me in my ground here in Michigan but for unknown areas I'd grab my outlaw or vaquero (or bandido II micromax but didn't mention before because no longer produced however the outlaw and bandido II are kissing cousins) just to be sure I'd be covered if I ran into rough ground.

Turn on and go units can't be changed without sending them in or you opening up the machine for adjustment and voiding your warranty.
But they cost less and are great for beginners and even avid detectorist alike for most areas.

Personally I sent my Deleon in with my 7" concentric because I wanted to coil looked at and the Deleon was purchased used so I knocked two birds with one stone to have the Deleon put back into perfect working order as well as the coil needing to be rebuilt but was cheaper than send both in separately. Also I have no plane of using any other coil with that detector and since it wasn't the stock coil I wanted them to be setup together to optimize it's effectiveness.

Hope this helped to explain and please let me know if there are any more questions.
Happy hunting!!

P.S. for what it's worth with all the machines I have the compadre is in the top favorites of mine for ease of use and abilities. And the new Mojave is nice because it's a hybrid. It's a cross between a compadre and silver umax but also has a switch for preset ground balance allowing use in easy ground as well as from the video I saw on YouTube can run quiet on black sand which is some of the worst stuff to detect in.
Seems like a very promising machine and the coil is something I'd like to buy because of how similar it is to the old Tesoro/Troy shadow super 7.
If I didn't have so many I would definitely be interested in this detector. Seems like a phenomenal detector for new detectorist for its ease of use.

And also to your last question, im not sure about the analog disc detectors but I know for a fact that the Deleon's disc circuit is directly tied to the ground balance so in that example targets will not necessarily look the same on screen if the balance is off which mine was doing with the nonstock coil which is why I sent mine in.

I've heard many switching coils and not having an issue.

The most common way the balance being off on them is the depth really suffers. They still function but not to the best they were designed to.

I thought there was more of a difference than that....
Ok thank you

There may be, but this is what I know and found out by trial and error

You're very welcome Neil. :)