Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance Numbers Simplex

claddagh

Hi All,

have been out just a few times with the Simplex and really enjoying it !

When I ground balance I always get numbers between 37 and 49, does this mean the ground is very mineralised? there are Hot Rocks present I think as they appear very high 90s then sometimes disappear completely again.At present I dont have many Permissions where I can go to check other fields to compare. I know in Beach Mode in wet sand it would ground balance very low 0-5.

Its no problem I was just curious.

Picture is the first coin found with the Simplex ( my Son not me) Silver about 17mm dia. Roman Trajan 98-117AD, it was about 15-18cm deep, so I feel confident that the Simplex will find stuff.
Thanks

claddagh:
have been out just a few times with the Simplex and really enjoying it ! .
Monte:
I have a bunch of detectors, Nokta / Makro models and others, but I am just enjoying the Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] a lot myself. It's not just feature equipped and works quite well, but quite simply it is just a 'fun' detector to get out and enjoy.:detecting:

claddagh:
When I ground balance I always get numbers between 37 and 49, does this mean the ground is very mineralised? there are Hot Rocks present I think as they appear very high 90s then sometimes disappear completely again. At present I dont have many Permissions where I can go to check other fields to compare..
Monte:
I've watched a lot of UK videos and envy the better-than-average ground over there to most sites I hunt here in the USA. I've worked some milder mineralized ground, like over there, but those are in other states and regions than my. Most UK videos I've seen have a Ground Balance reference number ± of about '45'. I live in Eastern Oregon in a little town called Vale. Most of my grassy yard has a GB reference that falls in the '68' to '76' range which is milder than where I most often hunt. Those are farm and ranch homesteads, or into gold mining era ghost towns and similar places. Most of them have a GB read-out between '82' and '87' which is much more mineralized. You're lucky to have what I call 'good dirt.':thumbup:

claddagh:
I know in Beach Mode in wet sand it would ground balance very low 0-5.

Its no problem I was just curious..

Monte:
That would suggest you're dealing with a saltwater beach environment, so that 0-5 range is probably correct. The Beach mode is the one that can allow GB adjustment down into that numeric range.

claddagh:
Picture is the first coin found with the Simplex ( my Son not me) Silver about 17mm dia. Roman Trajan 98-117AD, it was about 15-18cm deep, so I feel confident that the Simplex will find stuff.
Monte:
Congratulations to your son for that nice find, and to you for having an awesome detector to take afield!

Due to cold, wintery weather I haven't been out that much, but I have hunted our local city park a few times and the .[/color] definitely will find the good stuff, and I've had no problem hitting on our small-size coins at decent depths. Hunting the inner section of our large, grassy park I have been mainly using the Beach mode and periodically switch over to Field mode if I want to 'cross-check' some targets. Right now, at least, I am enjoying the Beach modes plain audio w/o VCO, but at times I do make use of the Field mode. Both have comparable depth, I just like the Beach mode's audio.

The more you use your Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] and learn its strengths, the more you'll enjoy it and want to get out hunting more often. Best of success to you ... and your son.

Thanks Monte !

That's all a lot clearer now.

I also use the beach mode in fields ( I think it was a tip from you in another post :) ). Also with Air testing at home I found that in Beach mode the VDI numbers go a bit deeper, for example 50Cents (Euro) in field mode is about 21cm and in Beach Mode about 25 the ID stays the same in all modes which is great......70

Same as you waiting for better weather to get out there, could be a while winter is here in Southern Germany. All the best, John

just a little hint of improvement on the visual numeric VDI read-out on some deeper targets when hunting a couple of places.

Yes, as you noted, I tend to use Beach mode more often, slightly, than Field mode when working wide-open areas. I still like the Field mode depending upon the site conditions and amount of targets and type of targets, but often do most of my hunting in the Beach mode. [size=small](Probably a 60 / 40 split between Beach and Field modes.)[/size] It's an easy two-press of the buttons, either direction, to go from Beach to Field or Field to Beach, so I sometimes double-check some located targets using the other search mode. I even check in Park mode at times, but Field and Beach get better depth and perhaps 50% of the targets I've been finding are at the fringe or just beyond what the Park mode can hit on.

Even though the areas I'm working are mostly open and targets are well spaced, I still encounter some ferrous debris at times, mainly iron nails, and I like to know when ferrous junk is present so I can work around it for any partially-masked keepers. So I keep all three of the Discriminate modes wide-open without any segments rejected which lets me listen for the occasional iron. If I get into an area where there is a little more and the audio gets annoying, then I switch to Field mode where I have the Iron Audio Volume reduced to 1-Bar so it isn't too loud.

Anyway, I did notice that on some of the targets I found, and those were US coins, I got a very good audio response in Beach mode and a solid or frequent good VDI read-out. When I switched to the Field mode, I still got a very good audio response and most of the VDI responses were also comparable, but not on all of the deeper located targets. What was solid ID in the Beach mode was sometimes just a little jumpier in the Field mode. If it was a jumpy and 'iffy' visual ID in Beach, it was either jumpy in Field mode or just didn't give a visual response. I am not talking a major difference, but at the fridge range I gave a slight 'edge' to the Beach mode's VDI response.

claddagh said:
Thanks Monte !

That's all a lot clearer now.

I also use the beach mode in fields ( I think it was a tip from you in another post :) ). Also with Air testing at home I found that in Beach mode the VDI numbers go a bit deeper, for example 50Cents (Euro) in field mode is about 21cm and in Beach Mode about 25 the ID stays the same in all modes which is great......70

Same as you waiting for better weather to get out there, could be a while winter is here in Southern Germany. All the best, John

Well, we are in the dead of winter season so our wait will likely be a while, but I am taking every opportunity to get any detecting in that I can. And since I've had the Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup], most of the time that's the unit I grab first to work a site. Most of my densely iron littered sites are under snow right now so I've been hunting parks and similar grassy places. I hope by the time we get the warming weather of spring, we'll also have the arrival of some smaller-size coils for this new model. I need smaller coils to work most of the places I enjoy hunting.

One thing for sure, the Simplex[sup][size=medium]+[/size][/sup] might be the lowest MSRP offering from Nokta / Makro right now, but it certainly isn't lacking on features, performance or build quality. it's providing me exceptional in-the-field performance compared with many makes and models at much higher prices. I've thinned out quite a few detectors thanks to the arrival of this device and have just three more to part with. I'm finding this to be one of the more enjoyable or 'fun' detectors I've used in a long time.

I hope weather and detecting opportunities work in your favor over that way, John, and that 2020 is a rewarding year for you.

Monte