Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground balance & trashy sites.

Mineralization can be from iron (ferrite) to salt. Salt mineralization is the main problem with factory set GB. On detectors that use somewhere near 90 as default GB, salt comes in near 0. It is just the opposite on the Equinox and Legend that use 0 as default and salt near maximum numbers. If your ground is salty, the default setting is not good. If your ground has iron as the main culprit, the default is pretty good as it is balanced to pure ferrite. It seems that lots of people think the default balance is for perfect soil with no iron mineralization. It is not. It is for iron bearing soil which is most soil. It also works well when there is no iron or salt in the soil.

My T2 manual says if you are using threshold based all metal, you should GB, but it is probably not necessary in discrimination mode. I am sure this did not sneak by chief engineer Dave Johnson. Too high GB causes large silver to disappear. If you GB too negative, the small iron, iron halos, and iron mineralization start coming through as sound. Ground balance is basically a form of discrimination to stop these signals. It is like turning up the threshold, you can't hear the deep good signals because there are so many signals from these small targets.

Thanks Picketwire! That was a great video. That is 1 of the best informational videos I've watched in a long time.