Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ground balance

mikzz

is there a type of ground that the finny will not ground balance in. the reason that I am asking is that I have been using the finny in the same area for my last 4 outings, all goes well with start up ground balancing and searching, but in certain spots I get a hi lo signal on the first sweep then nothing on the return,then I cant reproduce the signal again, the more I try to re find the signal the more I suspect that the finny is out ground balance,I then try to ground balance finny but cant I even tried the tips from a previous post in these areas to no avail and once I move 4 or so feet away finny quiets down and all is well. is this the ground or is finny trying to tell me something.I am out in the Victorian gold fields around Rushworth. I also dug up a rock that gave a hi lo signal and again on iron check its black like burnt rock but heavier than other rocks of the same size. its not iron ore I know what that looks like but I don't know what this rock is. I am wondering if it is these type of rocks that is upsetting the finny and if anyone has ever come across. these type of rocks before.

The infinium will make a few noises in extreme ground and as it passes over some ironstone rocks. It is the repeatable signals that you are interested in.
If you are running in fast or slow track then when the detector goes quiet after sounding off in one direction of sweep as you mentioned, try selecting Lock for a while. I cannot comment on the black rocks you mentioned without knowing what they are.

When the infinium does signal on ironstone you can try cranking the disc around to iron check, if it still makes the same noise then you have an hot iron rock. If the tones reverse or reduce in strength then it might be worth finding the target and checking it out, crack it open if need be.

if you are running in fast or slow track the Finny will be in a constant ground tracking mode. what you might be experiencing is the "cold" rock or a moderately "hot" rock(hotter than where you balanced). being that you ground balanced in that heavy soil and if you are running in fast or slow the Finny is "balancing" constantly. so you hear the tone and then you don't on the second sweep because the Finny "balanced" through Auto Ground Tracking. Ground balance in either fast or slow, if you get a nice smooth threshold tone then place on lock then you should be able to hear these hot/cold rocks repeatable. you can also try ground balance over one of these targets if they become a bother to see if that eliminates the problem. Or, dig them and identify them and learn the tone. Many targets can have their own tone and hot/cold rocks can have softer tone like a deep target or small shallow target. If you can't GB over the problem area it may be something large or something long and narrow. Go dig that target and let us know what you learn about it. You didn't tell what mode you were running in but I hope this helps.
Hope you find that big nugget over there!