Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance

kevmar

Have you used ground balance offset?
+ - easy to remember ,
less - is more
more + is less gb.

The problem with ground balance offset is that you MUST be in tracking mode to use it.

If I'm looking for weak deep targets, I don't want tracking mode on, unless I'm not hitting ANY targets at all (haven't seen this where I hunt). The reason is, every target (any metal) you pass over, shifts the GB. It can cause you to lose depth. I don't want that. So I don't use tracking, but check my balance from time to time. That way I don't have to worry about a weak or iffy signal dissapearing when I'm circling it to try to better identify it.

George

Glabelle, How do you check GB from time to time. Can we simply raise & lower the coil to check it?

Point taken,but it is easy to flick the auto track off whilst you zero in,
I have found that a hotter gb ,i.e running with negetive 4 or 5 makes the machine very responsive,
but only if the land is pretty quiet.

glabelle said:
The problem with ground balance offset is that you MUST be in tracking mode to use it.

If I'm looking for weak deep targets, I don't want tracking mode on, unless I'm not hitting ANY targets at all (haven't seen this where I hunt). The reason is, every target (any metal) you pass over, shifts the GB. It can cause you to lose depth. I don't want that. So I don't use tracking, but check my balance from time to time. That way I don't have to worry about a weak or iffy signal dissapearing when I'm circling it to try to better identify it.

George
If you don't use Tracking, it's even easier to offset your GB. You just do it manually too.

Longhair, as you know, the manual ground balance is rather crude. The resolution is not quite as good as the auto. Therefore if you auto balance, then manually step it one way or the other, it is a seat-of-the-pants step because you don't know exactly how much it changed from what was actually set.

The way I balance is to push the tracking button, then the balance button, then pump the coil over vacant ground until there is no change. Then I hit search and turn off tracking. This puts GB right on.

To check balance, just push the balance button and pump the coil a little to make sure it is still "on".

While I have extensive experience metal detecting, the X-terra is new to me (one week). If you have a better method, you are the master here! ;-)

George
Aloha, Oregon

I don't call myself master, and you shouldn't either. :lol:

However, we do know exactly how much we are changing the phase angle with our adjustments, in a technical sense. Each increment is 2 degrees of phase angle shift. IMO that's not crude. :shrug:

Around here you'd have to rebalance every 20ft without Tracking. And at some sites I do use the Offset, because I feel that the change improves target response at depth in those conditions. Not every situation benefits from it, but I like the added flexibility the 705 allows the user. Given how important GB is, I'm somewhat disappointed in FBS for it's lack of user control over it.

To me, this is exactly what the 705 boils down to. It can be whatever the user wants it to be. You can run auto everything w/2-tones if you're pleased with it like that, or you can seize control of everything and find ways to improve your experience in other ways. Most find a happy medium somewhere in between, but the Xterra's strong suit is being more tailorable to preferences, conditions, and targets sought than any other single frequency machine..
As I always say, "If what you're doing isn't working...CHANGE SOMETHING!"

Old Longhair said:
I don't call myself master, and you shouldn't either. :lol:

However, we do know exactly how much we are changing the phase angle with our adjustments, in a technical sense. Each increment is 2 degrees of phase angle shift. IMO that's not crude. :shrug:

Around here you'd have to rebalance every 20ft without Tracking. And at some sites I do use the Offset, because I feel that the change improves target response at depth in those conditions. Not every situation benefits from it, but I like the added flexibility the 705 allows the user. Given how important GB is, I'm somewhat disappointed in FBS for it's lack of user control over it.

To me, this is exactly what the 705 boils down to. It can be whatever the user wants it to be. You can run auto everything w/2-tones if you're pleased with it like that, or you can seize control of everything and find ways to improve your experience in other ways. Most find a happy medium somewhere in between, but the Xterra's strong suit is being more tailorable to preferences, conditions, and targets sought than any other single frequency machine..
As I always say, "If what you're doing isn't working...CHANGE SOMETHING!"
I think the manual GB is pretty good actually. I've had other detectors that had a seemingly wider range of adjustment (multi-turn pots), however no matter how I adjusted the GB on my old machine, the GB on my XT is much more stable.

[attachment 290345 gbautomanualtrackingchart.jpg]