Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance

Kronos

Hello. I hear that if I use the tracking GB I lose performance with the DEUS. I have read using the manual method is best. I hunt iron littered cane and bean fields. When I run the tracking option on my deus GB often goes as low as 63 and becomes extremely erratic and falsies heavily. So I then opt to manually tend to the frequent change in GB. This causes me much frustration. Since I find my self adjusting the GB 100 times during a hunt. As any DEUS owner would know. To adjust the ground balance is a matter of pushing the GB button and pushing the -/+ buttons until it scrolls +/- to the desired setting. This takes forever.... I become aggravated after tending it so often. I have the 3.2v and do not understand how to set and why to set the expert adjustments to the GB. I greatly appreciate all input with respect to how one can remedy this.
Much thanks
ALOHA

Many of us Deus owners got this GB tracking problem... :confused:
GB Manuel and +\- 1 or 2 is not much a different in performance, and better + 1-2 that will make it calm and stable. Time to time look at the display and adjust your GB to average.
Just Remember that in those situations were the tracking is going to low (iron or Minerals area), so will the GB id at the display, thats why you need adjust a average, and better a little + because our Deus is Allways either showing or in tracking going to negative... + 1-2 is good.
Henrik.

Henrikras said:
Many of us Deus owners got this GB tracking problem... :confused:
GB Manuel and +\- 1 or 2 is not much a different in performance, and better + 1-2 that will make it calm and stable. Time to time look at the display and adjust your GB to average.
Just Remember that in those situations were the tracking is going to low (iron or Minerals area), so will the GB id at the display, thats why you need adjust a average, and better a little + because our Deus is Allways either showing or in tracking going to negative... + 1-2 is good.
Henrik.
Thanks Henrik! I have been doing just as you have explained. However when the GB drops from nominal 80+/- to 60+\- it takes forever to correct. Then after I get it re-adjusted, it jumps back to 77-80+/-. I have suggested on the wish list to create a manual instant adjust. For instance when in manual mode as you hunt and ever so carefully watching the display. Seeing the GB drop or jump as many as 10-15 points then instead of pushing the GB button and scrolling for a minute one could simply push one of the other buttons to match the current GB id setting. I also notice that when in GB screen the ID in right corner often times does not match the main screen GB ID.
Another Question.
Why would XP even have a tracking feature if it is so misleading? I.E. Massive loss of performance. I really don't know if this is true. I do know that when in GB tracking and the GB reaches the 60s it is terribly unstable and takes its sweet time to readjust however it does and I go back to hunting.
Another question.
If I use the expert mode while in Manual mode and set it at the first adjustment down from 90. Which is 85. Will this reject metal objects in that number zone? This is the dime zone.
I am starting to think this was a very bad purchase.

Pretty freaking simple. Make two identical programs side by side, one with GB at high setting, the other at low.
Manual GB is stored when you save the program.

Kronos --

The GB notch under expert in the manual GB mode is *not* a notch of target signals, but of ground balance values. It's hard to explain, but you are not missing any targets with it. There's another thread recently that did a very good job explaining it. As good as Andy's book is on the Deus, the explanation there was unclear to me. I get it a little better having played with it some and rereading it.

Rich

Ism said:
Pretty freaking simple. Make two identical programs side by side, one with GB at high setting, the other at low.
Manual GB is stored when you save the program.
That is a line of thinking that occurred to me but for programs not to address a ground balance issue. Great tip! Thank you!

samandnoah said:
Kronos --

The GB notch under expert in the manual GB mode is *not* a notch of target signals, but of ground balance values. It's hard to explain, but you are not missing any targets with it. There's another thread recently that did a very good job explaining it. As good as Andy's book is on the Deus, the explanation there was unclear to me. I get it a little better having played with it some and rereading it.

Rich
Hi Rich! What would then stop someone from maxing this setting out to reject as much ground as possible? I realize your like me, just a deus owner/user. Not the techs. I'm going to give these tip a spin today.
Thank y'all very much for the time to help me out.
ALOHA

Kronos said:
Hi Rich! What would then stop someone from maxing this setting out to reject as much ground as possible? I realize your like me, just a deus owner/user. Not the techs. I'm going to give these tip a spin today.
Thank y'all very much for the time to help me out.
ALOHA

Nothing would prevent that, I suppose. Makes me think of the phrase "With great power comes great responsibility!" ;)

We're all happy to help. Would just hate to see a new owner throw up their arms in disgust & frustration so early in the game. It happened a lot a couple of years ago, but there is so much more information (in the US) today, and so many more resources, than before, so hopefully we can help. Some of those folks who walked away a couple of years ago find themselves coming back, too. Hey, the Deus may not be the right machine for you at the end of the day. But we can at least try to help!
Take care,
Rich

I feel your frustration with the erratic and low GB settings using the "tracking" method. It all boils down to where you are hunting and the level of iron in the ground for the most part. Higher iron concentrations will push GB values into the 60s, this holds true especially in the trashiest of areas. You need to find an average value - somewhere between 75 and 82 - and set the GB MANUALLY there.

When you first turn on the machine - go into the menu and you will see GB readings in the upper right corner. These are "real-time" GB readings and you can use this to determine your GB manual setting start point. Once you get into your program, swing the coil across the ground for a few seconds and watch the numbers in the display. They should change frequently as you swing, but there should be an average after just 2-3 swings. Set your Manual GB to this number and add +1 or +2 as suggested by Henrikras - this will ensure you get a quieter machine with little to no falses, and detection depth is not sacrificed all that much.

Once you visit the site a few times, you'll get a handle on the average GB setting, and then you can tune it down several points if you are going after fringe targets in the trash.

On the other hand - Tracking GB is GREAT for relic hunting in clean ground where you need to see the smallest targets at depth as precisely as possible. Clean ground has more predictable GB values, and this is where you can use the "bar" on the right side of the screen to check your settings. For example, I relic hunted a couple days ago in a woodsy, rocky section that has not seen many people over the years - so the ground was relatively clean from modern trash. I had "81-82" displayed in the upper right window for the entire hunt, and I manually set GB to "80.5" which enabled me to use the bar graph the entire hunt. I set it -1 to -2 points BELOW the readings for slightly more sensitivity. The machine ran flawlessly (I didn't find much in the way of targets that day lol), and GB stayed between the upper and lower setpoints on the bar graph. In a trashy setting there are so many variances in the GB that the software has trouble getting a handle on an average value.

So...in a trashy iron-laden site use Manual GB after finding an average value after 2-3 swings, and then add +1 or +2 for a little more stability...and in clean ground "tracking" works well for deeper and smaller targets. In my area I start getting weird false signals if I run GB below 70 for and extended period of time. Usually large, deep iron gets through and the higher the operating frequency, the more susceptible iron "bleed through" becomes if GB is not set correctly. Happy Hunting!

just an idea..! If you got some unnormal problems with your XP Deus.1./ reinstall the 3.2 software. XP had time to time corrected small bugs, since the 3.2 came out.
If that wouldn't help, try the good old 2.0 software..
Its Very easy to do this, so May bee a good idea.
Just Remember to write up all your settings...
Henrik.

Got it! Everything you have said makes perfect sense! I went for a hunt today and ran my deus in tracking mode and set my ground notch at 84 and it worked far better than previously. I've been using the Garrett At-lines for so long I expect the same stability from a more efficient machine. I've put about 100 hours on my deus and for the reasons I bought it I'm very happy with its performance. For instance I found a Louisiana pelican button 11" deep in a place I walked over 50+ times with my AT-Gold w/ NEL 13" coil. I am trying to pool as much info about this machine so I can hunt with my heart in it. Not just wondering if it's even working because I don't have it set up correctly. I greatly appreciate the advice and for sharing your valuable time with me about this matter. I wish you tremendous luck in your future hunting endeavors.

I got it figured out. It may be hard to believe, but I hunt some sites that have soooo much iron the circuitry is literally smoked. So the deus defaults to the lowest GB it has. Once out of the iron the deus re-stabilizes to 78-88 GB value and smoothed out.