Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balance

asiandigger

I just thought I ask this question. I been doing very well since I started detecting 7-28-13 ( I've only own the Garrett AT PRO). Over 30 gold rings and over 40 silver rings (Hunting parks and school only). I don't ever ground balance at all. I leave my AT PRO at 86 regardless of the soil. It seems to work very well for me. Does anyone else leave their AT PRO at 86 or near this number always regardless of the soil.

I hardly ground balance either. But, when I am in the water, I do, as there is a big difference between the mineralization in the soil and sand.

asiandigger said:
I just thought I ask this question. I been doing very well since I started detecting 7-28-13 ( I've only own the Garrett AT PRO). Over 30 gold rings and over 40 silver rings (Hunting parks and school only). I don't ever ground balance at all. I leave my AT PRO at 86 regardless of the soil. It seems to work very well for me. Does anyone else leave their AT PRO at 86 or near this number always regardless of the soil.

Next time you're out would you mind doing an auto GB and sharing the results, maybe it is close to 86.

When I had my ATP I auto GB 94-96 in my soil and I found that auto GB was better than setting a lower manual GB. I sold the ATP and bought the AT Gold in hopes it would handle my soil better. It auto GB at 76 and I believe it handles my soil a little better than the ATP; seems to run a little smoother, time will tell.

Both the AT Gold and the AT Pro have different platforms for ground balance. Using a ground balanced AT Gold number and comparing it to an AT Gold is like comparing apples and oranges.

John-Edmonton said:
Both the AT Gold and the AT Pro have different platforms for ground balance. Using a ground balanced AT Gold number and comparing it to an AT Gold is like comparing apples and oranges.

John, you're right, the rep at Garret explained that to me regarding the GB numbers so I probably shouldn't have included that info as some may be confused by the difference.

I guess the machine was designed for more mineralized soil and it has the added benefit of the GB window is why the ATG seems to be running smoother in my ground than the ATP?

I leave mine Pro on the factory pre set 86 the vast majority of the time. Our ground here with the A T Pro g b 85-88. When I hunt elsewhere such as Minnesota, the coast of Georgia and some other places, I do g b as the ground is different. Mn is higher and Ga lower. HH jim tn

Most of my local parks and grassy areas are around 87/86, but at Palm Springs last week I found that the gb settled in at 92 or so. Confirmed mineralisation by holding PP at about 2 feet above ground, lowering it, and getting the high-pitch tone at a much higher distance than at an 86 park

Agreed, I rarely GB any of my rigs, AtPro or otherwise...maybe once per month or so when I 'think' I may need to just for giggles and curiosity mainly, or if I get into some really squirrely area and think it may help...I have not noticed any appreciable lack of depth or hitting good targets...if anything, learning how to hunt with the sens adjusted 'down' for conditions seems to be the most important thing to do..

...I've done a few practice runs from GA to MI hopping off interstate exits and sweeping with no problem anywhere from that Southern red iron clay to MI sand, hitting lotsa targets without GB at all...sure, it may not be the 'optimum' way to hunt a spot, set up right and GB and whatnot...For me, metal is metal, dirt is dirt, and theres a whole lot of other parameters that seem to be of more importance for successful hunting than GB...like location etc....just goes to show ya...any old dope can find metal in the right location no matter what the settings are within reason! :rofl: Its nice to know its there if a fellow ever needs it..:thumbup:
Mud.

My ground balance runs between high 80's and low 90's, but when I work the river if I don't ground balance, it goes crazy.