Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balancing, playing nice in the sandbox , beeping rocks and 101 other questions ... (not really)

I always carry a few cards on me. I also have a ball cap with a metal detector image on the front which usually generates some type of questions of interest, thus I just hand a card over at the end of the conversation. Sometimes I will see an old abandoned homestead with an occupied home nearby so I will leave a card there if no one home and it looks like a probable choice. I also put just a couple tidbits on the back about who I am, like retired law enforcement, member search and rescue, and member local historical society, etc. This seems to put people more at ease and they realize Im not out to ravage their landscape. Just a simple card with minimal info.

Realtors take a bit more finesse. They prefer a pristine property to show and I get that. The actual owner of the property has the final say so tread lightly. I have turned over some items to the realtor which I felt more than likely belonged to the owner, this shows goodwill. I am super careful to fill plugs back in and if I discover damage to the property/home/landscape I call the realtor and don’t enter the property. Being a smaller town a couple of realtors now pretty much endorse me so Im picking up spots to go to slowly.

Whoops, forgot to answer the last question (still on first cup of coffee....).
Check with the County Assessors Office for development properties. Usually a land development company buys that land and will be on record with the Assessor. Those big companies will often defer your request to whomever the construction company is. They have concerns about liability if one gets injured falling into a trench etc so just go with what you’re comfortable with.

Thank
I always carry a few cards on me. I also have a ball cap with a metal detector image on the front which usually generates some type of questions of interest, thus I just hand a card over at the end of the conversation. Sometimes I will see an old abandoned homestead with an occupied home nearby so I will leave a card there if no one home and it looks like a probable choice. I also put just a couple tidbits on the back about who I am, like retired law enforcement, member search and rescue, and member local historical society, etc. This seems to put people more at ease and they realize Im not out to ravage their landscape. Just a simple card with minimal info.

Realtors take a bit more finesse. They prefer a pristine property to show and I get that. The actual owner of the property has the final say so tread lightly. I have turned over some items to the realtor which I felt more than likely belonged to the owner, this shows goodwill. I am super careful to fill plugs back in and if I discover damage to the property/home/landscape I call the realtor and don’t enter the property. Being a smaller town a couple of realtors now pretty much endorse me so Im picking up spots to go to slowly.
Thank you for all of the wonderful insight. I am keeping notes, lol. (literally)