Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ground balancing

copperdave

I own the AT Pro and the Gold. I have read alot in the forums about what the ground balance was such at 85 which seems to be the norm. however I recently read of GB in the 20's. Ultimately my question is, what do I do with the readings? I guess I thought once the machine balances to the ground that was it. I actually nver looked where it is balancing. I am obviously missing something with this knowledge.
Any insist?

I hunt the beach and have to ground balance my detector several times through out the day. In the wet sand I'll be in the 14 to 20 range. and the dry sand could be from 25 to 50. The ground mineral content could very a lot from one are to the next. Your machine will tell you when you need to redo your ground balance. If it is properly balanced, it should run quiet.
Hope that helps! TRIAL AND ERROR

The AT Pro numbers and AT Gold numbers are not the same when ground balancing. My AT Pro is usually in the 80's.

If I remember correctly the higher the mineralization the less depth you get. The mineralization here, Texas Gulf Coast(inland on soil) averages around 82 to 85. I get an average depth of 8 inches on a Penney, but have gotten a Penney at 10 inches in very wet soil.

If your machine is running pretty quiet until you're over a target, you're in good shape. The lowest GB #s seem to be at beaches without much mineralization. Here in NM, my average is about 83. I've been manually lowering mine to 75 recently to help spot small silver amongst the infernally dense layer of iron around here. Lowering the GB a few ticks is said to make the detector 'hotter' on high conductivity targets like Silver & Copper. Raising it a bit is said to make it 'hotter' on gold. ( I use my AT Gold w/ 5x8 coil most of the time).

thanks for the responses. I will trying manueally lowering my ground balance. I believe the area I am hunting, (old historical houses) the silver is deep. I dug a 12" hole for a 1895 barber quarter. all by sound and no numbers. It told me I am getting better with the machine.

That's a mighty nice find and impressive depth! :cheers: