Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Balancing

Brownie

When ground balancing this detector with the stock 8.5 x 11 DD coil and then changing to any of other coils available to be used will you get a different value going over the same exact spot? Also realistically how far up or down can you change the ground balance value and still be stable with no falsing?

Every time you switch coils, you should do a ground balance. Often times, the ground balance numbers will change very little, if at all. The AT Gold and AT Pro ech will have different numbers on the same patch of dirt. How far off the numbers have to be before the machine becomes unstable? That will depend on the mineralization under the coil and also the size of a coil. A larger coil will give you more falsing compared to a small coil, as it has much more area to read.

Hope this helps! Coil Information - http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet_en.aspx

Thanks John. I knew I could count on your expertise to give me a solid answer. I thought it would easier to ask the question than experiment changing 5 different coils which will leave me more to hunt.

At the river Monday, my At/Pro balanced around 88 on one side of the swim area and 92 on the other. Different soil I guess or fill dirt, but same coil.

Having perfect ground balance isn't as important as you might think unless you have bad soil or the soil changes drastically. When you auto ground balance it the machine sets to what it computes as the optimum level but generally if you are " in the ballpark " with the setting its not going to make a noticeable difference. I usually find a clean patch of ground and do the GB procedure before each hunt but I normally do just as well and notice no problems when I don't.

Having perfect ground balance isn't as important as you might think unless you have bad soil or the soil changes drastically. When you auto ground balance it the machine sets to what it computes as the optimum level but generally if you are " in the ballpark " with the setting its not going to make a noticeable difference. I usually find a clean patch of ground and do the GB procedure before each hunt but I normally do just as well and notice no problems when I don't.
Yup
Clean patch of ground is Paramount to ground balancing.
I'll use pinpoint a few times. To make certain the ground is clear.

I hunted with a friend that has the at pro wonderful machine His tid was a little more jumpy than mine but good . He swings a little different than I do but both are machines were right in there. I like it for hunting relics good machine. Depth was excellent.

Yup
Clean patch of ground is Paramount to ground balancing.
I'll use pinpoint a few times. To make certain the ground is clear.
However...if you are in an area that is loaded with tons of (example: square nails) it may benefit the user to GB on the type of nails that littered the ground. I have done this myself with the AT Pro and found many nice old coins among them. The AT Pro is a dynamite machine with the 5x8" coil and I have found some of my best old coin finds with it.

Yes
Detuning your machine to a specific target has it benefits. Though typically. Like hot rocks an such you can miss alot. Especially low hitting gold.
However silvers and coppers would stand out on such a tuning.