Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Coverage: BHID 300 vs. Excalibur 1000

cabochris

With the idea that one might be able to find more gold at a saltwater beach shallow water hunting, by covering more ground and cherry-picking only potentially gold targets, Which machine would do that better- the BHID 300 or Excalibur 1000? (this would be done when ones time is short to hunt)

I think the BHID would be a faster responding machine, so one might be able to swing it faster and cover more ground that way? Then the BHID coil pinpoints faster than the 1000, so less time would be required digging targets, which would leave more time for hunting? And the concentric 12 inch coil covers lots of surface area.

On the other hand, I think for shallow targets the Excalibur can hunt pretty fast. But when one slows down for deeper targets, the 10 inch DD coil covers more ground to max depth than a concentric coil would if swings were not perfectly overlapped. Plus the Excalibur has better tone ID- so if one wanted to one could only dig to solid gold tones and pass up on any scratchy tones that might be aluminum. With the BHID one would dig all yellow lights and perhaps the blue lights too. That means one might be digging more aluminum with BHID?

I think for randomly searching and finding the most gold in the least time, that the BHID would win? Any thought on this? CC.

If you are in the water, even shallow you will not be able to swing the whites any faster unless you a built like garth, in the water, the water resistance plays a big part in swing speed so i don't think you will get much benefit, on the wet sand things could be different

Yes, that is a very good point. When I tried an Excalibur 15 inch WOT that certainly was the case! So I just walked the WOT by my side through the water like a puppy without swinging. I was hoping the 12 inch BHID might have less water resistance. I was also wondering about using a longer lower rod to increase ground coverage reach too?

You may be right. Yet the BHID should still be a faster responding machine. So perhaps that might be a slight advantage? I know I have no problem swinging my 1000 too fast! I have to remind myself to slow down with it! Would a 2 inch larger coil have that much more resistance?

cabochris:

Using the BHID 300 in All Metal (supertune) will allow you to cover the area (especially wet sand) quickly. That 12" coil seems to float on a thin film of water when doing the wet sand. When the tide is low you have to cover lots of wet sand quickly. Work the water when the tides in because you will have to go slower anyway. In wet sand, the thinking is that goodies will come in patches. Look for a coin (green light), then cover a 30 ft. square are around it. Lots of jewelery found around coins. Thanks Golden Olde.

I have the BHID300 and find it fun to use. My objective is to find lots of good stuff in the wet sand rather than hunt all day to find a ring that someone lost in deep water. There has been some discussion about mineralization and the BHID300, so you might check into that.

Ron

Either coil has very little water resistance and only 2" diference, its the shaft, cable etc that causes the drag in the water, i notice no difference between the excalibur and the whites Dual field(same 12" coil, to look at anyway) in the water, resistance wise, so no speed gain on coverage other than 2" a pass(but less depth with the BHID me thinks)

In the wet sand the BHID 300 is faster due to the quick recovery design of the detector (fast sweep speed)!

You'll cover more area with the 12" coil and if you run it in all metal and just use the lights for iron it's hard to beat. :thumbup:

IN THAT MODE IT IS FAST AND DEEP.....BUT IT IS ALSO VERY EFFECTIVE WITH A SLOW SWING IN ALL METAL......SO THE CHOICE IS UP TO THE HUNTER...FAST OR SLOW! THE 12" COIL DOES NOT MISS MUCH!