Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground EMI problems.....

magic

I was out hunting today and I experienced a problem that we all have from time to time.
EMI that is coming from the ground. I could hold my detector straight out in front of me and it was fine, but when I put it to the ground,...erratic and unstable.

My ground balance was good and I even lowered the RX gain and disc. levels to almost nothing.
Then I did something I have never done before, everyone knows about the adjusting the offset when in EMI in the air.
But this time, I adjusted the offset while my coil was touching the ground and it worked!

I am going to test this out some more but I know today, it worked great.

I have used frequency offset lots in the past but always in the air and would listen for the cleanest tone.
This time, I used it in the ground where the problem was and listened for the best sound pinpointing into the ground and it seemed to work great. Don't know why it worked, I just know it did.

I run my offset at +2 all the time.:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

TIM CLARK said:
I run my offset at +2 all the time.:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

Which offset are you running at +2 all the time?

The EMI doesn't care if it is air or soil. Air is just another type of ground as far as the detector is concerned, just not solid or with any ferrous component. EMI doesn't care what kind of ground the coil is on both are excellent conductors of EMI.

Magic I am running in the Hi-Pro program and I set the Ground Tracking and the Transmit Frequency to +2. :twodetecting::whites::cheers:

Rob (IL) said:
The EMI doesn't care if it is air or soil. Air is just another type of ground as far as the detector is concerned, just not solid or with any ferrous component. EMI doesn't care what kind of ground the coil is on both are excellent conductors of EMI.

I understand all of this, but I have never seen anyone speak of doing this frequency offset adjustment in the ground before. Maybe it was mentioned when I was gone for a while.
Anyway, it's new to me and I will be using it when I run into ground EMI and there is no air EMI present.

TIM CLARK said:
Magic I am running in the Hi-Pro program and I set the Ground Tracking and the Transmit Frequency to +2. :twodetecting::whites::cheers:

Ground tracking I understand, but frequency offset is used for EMI and 0 is the most common setting unless you are in EMI, and then the settings vary.

magic said:
Ground tracking I understand, but frequency offset is used for EMI and 0 is the most common setting unless you are in EMI, and then the settings vary.

A long story short, my situation at my house is, the detector (V3i) is silent when held waist high & silent while on the ground. I can not detect at dime @ 7" in my test garden. I tried all the normal setting combinations to give you more depth, nothing worked. On a whim, I tried a frequency offset of +2 and bam... it hit the dime to 9" loud and clear. I can not explain why but it worked. I'm thinking it has to be some form of "Silent EMI" effecting the unit. I do have a 500K power line running 800 yards from my home... the detector remains silent from EMI so I figured it was far enough away. Guess not.