Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Notch??

mark v

Can someone please explain to me what Ground Notch is on the Deus and give some scenarios of how or when to use it.

Thanks.

hi
the way i see it is
it takes out a section of the ground balance

i only use it when the hot rocks are unbearable
like in extream basalt

hope this helps a bit

mabie some 1 else can explain it better
p.s the Deus will find nuggets :thumbup:

love my Deus :detecting:

Ground Notch is just another tool in the XP. It's there to take out some of the chirps that have to do with the ground not targets. I use it in all my programs. If the ground in your area reads let's say 75-90 then that's where you set it. This is a set and forget type of thing. Costs you nothing. Stable machine = more targets found. No brainier.

I'm sure there will be a post coming that will tell you how awful it is. It stays in all my programs.

It's in all of mine, works great...

About the 2-minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

I use the Deus for water hunting. There were some fresh water lakes that the lake bottom sand/ gravel made the detector quite chattery . When I enacted the ground notch the Deus smoothed right out. I highly recommend it. Steve

page 39-40 of manual, if u machine ground balances at 80 u would want to set the ground notch to like a 83-90. thats the way i understand it. maybe im wrong. seemed to always work for me

If you're having a problem with the machine falsing on twigs, branches, corn stubble, logs, bushes, etc. The ground notch feature will cut all that out. I run it in all my programs.

It notches out any audio from the changes in the ground without notching the targets that fall in that range. I typically keep mine notched from 84-90 and my ground balances in the mid 70s.

When you ground balance, the Deus takes a sample readout of the ground and stores it until you change it unless you're running the GB in tracking. Subtle changes in the ground due to minerals, or an uneven sweep (coil raised higher/lower) will throw that reading off. Utilizing ground notch will keep the machine stable through these changes.

It's a must for my hunting style.

Wish I knew more about how it works, but I hope this helps.

Thank You everyone who replied.

I do get falsing at times when bumping into twigs and things. If it ever stops raining here I will get out and tinker with this setting.

It would be nice to see more videos on this feature... My ground balances in the mid 80s to 90 in some places but it can also change quite quickly to the 70s only yards from that spot. What do you do in those situations?

DigDugNY said:
It would be nice to see more videos on this feature... My ground balances in the mid 80s to 90 in some places but it can also change quite quickly to the 70s only yards from that spot. What do you do in those situations?

My ground in West TN and Central Colorado hovers around 75-85 most of the time. I set Notch Ground to "85-90" and just go...very rarely does this affect the detector's performance.

I noticed hunting a tot lot one time the ground reading was a solid "87" and never varied...in this case set Notch Ground to "87" which left the detector very sensitive to smaller jewelry (and foil) items.

The "Deus Versteher" videos are invaluable - he explains what is happening very clearly

Because I as well always wondered what GB notch actually does (I never use it).........after watching the video Beepsilver posted, closely, I notice that he ground balances the machine by the pumping method, then he wiggles the detector and it falses, the number he manually sets the GB to is actually lower than what the machine says it is, meaning the machine read the ground at 85, he had it manually set to 82, which made his setting a negative one which will produce a lot of falsing, he applied the GB notch and it became a lot more stable. So, my question is, because a negative GB will in theory give you better depth / sensitivity, how far can you set the GB below the actual numerical number, still apply GB notch and have the machine run smoothly and properly, kinda saying I wonder if it was set too much in the negative side (actual GB 85, manually set to 65) if it would pick up everything and give the same signal like a PI machine? Things to ponder while I'll wait for spring....

TedyOH said:
Because I as well always wondered what GB notch actually does (I never use it).........after watching the video Beepsilver posted, closely, I notice that he ground balances the machine by the pumping method, then he wiggles the detector and it falses, the number he manually sets the GB to is actually lower than what the machine says it is, meaning the machine read the ground at 85, he had it manually set to 82, which made his setting a negative one which will produce a lot of falsing, he applied the GB notch and it became a lot more stable. So, my question is, because a negative GB will in theory give you better depth / sensitivity, how far can you set the GB below the actual numerical number, still apply GB notch and have the machine run smoothly and properly, kinda saying I wonder if it was set too much in the negative side (actual GB 85, manually set to 65) if it would pick up everything and give the same signal like a PI machine? Things to ponder while I'll wait for spring....

It depends on a few things as far as setting GB below the ground reading. EMI will be a consideration as well as how packed the ground is with targets - black sand, the list goes on....Only way to find out is to keep setting GB lower and lower until you start digging too much iron. You will have the machine at it's hottest - and although you will be getting a little extra depth and sensitivity the same GB settings would differ from day to day slightly.

CZconnoisseur said:
TedyOH said:

It depends on a few things as far as setting GB below the ground reading. EMI will be a consideration as well as how packed the ground is with targets - black sand, the list goes on....Only way to find out is to keep setting GB lower and lower until you start digging too much iron. You will have the machine at it's hottest - and although you will be getting a little extra depth and sensitivity the same GB settings would differ from day to day slightly.

Have commented on this vid here in the UK, have tried to mimic the situation shown with 3 different Deus machines, and in now way shape or form could we get the machines to sound off when shaken?

CT Todd said:
Ground Notch is just another tool in the XP. It's there to take out some of the chirps that have to do with the ground not targets. I use it in all my programs. If the ground in your area reads let's say 75-90 then that's where you set it. This is a set and forget type of thing. Costs you nothing. Stable machine = more targets found. No brainier.

I'm sure there will be a post coming that will tell you how awful it is. It stays in all my programs.

One of the best things I learned at Bootcamp. Makes my Deus enjoyable to use, much more quiet and stable. Kinda a no brainer.

I have been running my GB notch from 75 to 90..... is this to low? it sure helps keep it quite, are ground will go from 75 to 90 most of the time. I set GB at 85 and leave it. Im a relic hunter 90% of the time

Going to have to try this-

Is this a setting that can be made and saved or does it have to be entered every time you start?

IIRC
They say that Andy said at one of his bootcamps to black out the entire Ground Notch.