Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground Probe Question

Tony N (Michigan)

In the links at the top of this page for information on the V3i Rob (IL) wrote:

"To get the phase of your target, put the coil on the ground away from the target and press the zero button - that captures the ground for separating its effects from the target."

Where is the "zero button" on the V3i?

Actually I should but forget to, when I grab the V3i since over the last year I've used the Etrac quite a bit.

Honestly I'm not sure why either. Just today compared the AKA silver sucker Etrac, against my V3i, both with a U13 in a test garden and honestly the V hit harder and much more consistent on an 8 inch merc than the Etrac did.

When your on the ground probe screen. Zero is on bottom left. Hit enter.

Hi Tony,

Find a spot of clean ground, hold the coil about waist high, highlight Ground Tracking on the live search screen, then tap the Zoom button and the Ground Probe screen pops up. The Zero button should already be selected (highlighted). Press enter to Zero the readings. Then place the coil on the ground to get the ground readings.

The Ground Probe can be useful for determining which filter to use and how high you can set the gain to avoid false signals. I use the Ground Probe when detecting an area new to me to give me a good starting point for sensitivity and filter settings.

wasp said:
Hi Tony,

Find a spot of clean ground, hold the coil about waist high, highlight Ground Tracking on the live search screen, then tap the Zoom button and the Ground Probe screen pops up. The Zero button should already be selected (highlighted). Press enter to Zero the readings. Then place the coil on the ground to get the ground readings.

The Ground Probe can be useful for determining which filter to use and how high you can set the gain to avoid false signals. I use the Ground Probe when detecting an area new to me to give me a good starting point for sensitivity and filter settings.

Okay, I took notes from what you wrote above to take into the field. But now my question: How do I set up the detector based on the readings?

Big Treble said:
Actually I should but forget to, when I grab the V3i since over the last year I've used the Etrac quite a bit.

Honestly I'm not sure why either. Just today compared the AKA silver sucker Etrac, against my V3i, both with a U13 in a test garden and honestly the V hit harder and much more consistent on an 8 inch merc than the Etrac did.

Yea, I too have an E-trac and my V3i hits harder on my deeply buried coins in my coin garden. However, for some strange reason, I have better hits with the 10" D2 coil on my deepies with my V3i than with my 13" ultimate. That doesn't make sense to me.

Big Treble said:

"and honestly the V hit harder and much more consistent on an 8 inch merc than the Etrac did."

I have owned two different V3i units since 2010, and in my personal experience with both V3i unit against the MLab(SE Pro and Etrac) once I went to Minelabs last year, is different than your results in depth and VDI. The Minelabs ROCK past 7 inches, whereas the V3i simply washed out in target ID. I can honestly say that my two V3i units only found a tiny handful of coins found past 7 inches depth.

I still own my last V3i unit, and continously compare/test signals in my home garden against my Minelab detects. My V3i just loses dependable tone and TID once the target passes 7 inches. It could all simply come down to specific deficient metal detector units. I suspect that lots of secondhand detectors being sold just didn't meet the users expectations.

I would keep that V3i you have now if it beats an Etrac in depth and ID.

Tony,

It seems to help to set the RX gain to around 7 as a good starting point. Ground Balance then take the reading. The VDI numbers on the Ground Probe reading indicate how mineralized the soil is..... mid to low minus 90s indicates ferrous, around -90 more neutral, below -90 is nearing salt.

The Strength % readings help to determine if RX gain can be increased. Keeping the Strength below 10% helps avoid falsing and chatter from ground interference.

To see which filter is going to be best for this ground, find a target at around 6 or 7 inches that gives a good clear consistent signal. Reduce the RX until the signal breaks up and is barely detectable. Then cycle through the filters until you find the one that gives the strongest signal on that target.

Raise the RX back to where you had it and you should be set as far as eliminating ground interference. Memorize or write down the RX and filter settings for that area so you don't have to go through all the testing next time you're there.

If you are getting chatter from EMI you will have to make additional changes. (check the stickys)

Hope this helps.

I've had different Minelabs from the XS to the SE and SE Pro, E-trac and Muskateer. The SE and SE Pro barely hit my 9+ inch deep penny and dime.
My V3i not only hits them well, I can lift the coil (10" D2 coil) three inches above the ground and can still hit them and get a VDI.

I still have my Minelab Explorer XS, E-trac and Muskateer. The problem with the V3i is it can be easily set up wrong with all the myriad of setting.
With the E-trac, the settings are much simpler. I still like my E-trac.

I wonder why you are getting only 7" coins with your V3i. Is your soil really bad?