Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ground tracking Racer 2

semtav

Ok another question to help me learn my machine better. I was reading a thread a few pages back and it said the machine can be real noisy when you set it down if you have the ground tracking on in Di mode. I thought you could only have the tracking on n all metal mode. I musta left my manual at work so I cant check and see what it says. How do you turn the ground tracking on/off say in deep mode?Thanks

Usually you only want to use tracking in the all metal mode but it can be turned on in the other modes. Just not recommended.

OK, thanks. I thot it only worked in the all metal mode like threshold. I'll give it a try and see if its been on.

Only reason it gets noisy is your coil is perpendicular to the ground and it's constantly trying to track when it's mostly for and some round on the bottom rim of the coil.
I tried using it on both my r2 and relic in the regular modes but doesn't help and can get annoying when you set it down to dig

OK. I didn't even know it was on. Still don't. Will have to get my detector out and check.but sure sounds like that's was part of my noise problem.

Might have by accident when scrolling through the settings

I used tracking on my Red Racer in disc modes and it seemed to work fine. I didn't use it in high density iron areas as I've always heard that auto-tracking in those environments could throw off the GB by tracking to a piece of iron.

Does anyone have any idea why it's suggested to use tracking in AM mode vs disc mode?

Cal_Cobra said:
I used tracking on my Red Racer in disc modes and it seemed to work fine. I didn't use it in high density iron areas as I've always heard that [size=medium]auto-tracking in those environments could throw off the GB by tracking to a piece of iron[/size].

Does anyone have any idea why it's suggested to use tracking in AM mode vs disc mode?
Yes, I know that there might be several reasons, mainly two or three, but you cited the primary reason in your post.

Naturally it will depend on how a manufacturer designed their auto-tracking circuitry because some I've used track too quickly and can sometimes 'over-shoot' a proper, functional GB in some terrible environments, while another might be very slow at tracking and not keep up with all the changes very well in a challenging location with abrupt mineral slopes and irregularities in mineral make-up.

Then you have to add the use of a motion-based Discriminate mode which can incorporate other factors, such as a detector being able to filter out [size=small](reject)[/size] unwanted trash targets as well as reject the ground mineral signal. I have several detectors in my arsenal and they all have different strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are really going to perform well in a Discriminate mode while relying on auto-tracking. Yes, they might appear to work okay in mild to moderate ground and when it is relatively free of ferrous-based trash, but many tracking circuitries can be challenged when you encounter a dense iron debris site.

Additionally, it is possible for auto-tracking to have a negative impact on performance with some detectors in the Discriminate mode, and it is usually best reserved for use only when beneficial and in the Threshold-based All Metal mode.

Other than that I won't elaborate because it is an interesting discussion I usually have with folks in a seminar where I can demonstrate, hands-on, the potential negative impact of some GB tracking circuitry designs.

I do know that after reading the User Manuals, working with the various Nokta and Makro models I enjoy in a wide-range of ground environments and clean to heavily iron littered sites, that I ONLY use tracking in All Metal, and then it is only when I feel it might be beneficial to me for the environment and not as a full-time function.

Monte