Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GT Meter Question

Would you guys consider the Minelab180 meter or the Sunray meter to be more reliable and accurate? I'm picking up a GT soon that has the Minelab 180 but I was considering getting the Sunray one if it's worth it.

Thanks guys.
Joseph

If it has the Minelab factory 180 meter which is the newest meter made when the GT came out you will find it is very good meter. The only complaint I see with this meter is it sit lower and harder to see when on the factory straight shaft of the GT and where Sun Ray DTI would sit higher up and easier to see as it sit higher and the viewing angle is much better, The new meter I find is as accurate as the Sun Ray DTI meter which some rate as I do the best meter ever made for the Sovereigns. The Sun Ray maybe a little more sensitive to small changes too. The problem with the Sun Ray meters is they have not been made for several year now and hard to find a good used one. If you are going to use a different straight shaft like the ones that have the meter mount on the end of the hand grip than the New Minelab is the only way to go as the Sun Ray will sit too high and the Minelab is perfect on these.

Thank you for the info. I wasn't aware that they stopped making those. Yes the GT I am looking at has the new 180 meter. I had an Elite and did the 180 conversion on the meter but I didn't find it to be nearly as accurate.

Thank you,
Joseph

For me the 180 meter of Sun Rays and the new Minelab 180 meter, not the re calibrated 550 meter if I get a 179-180 I know I have a copper penny, clad coins or silver. Now if I see a 176-177 and it is loud I can expect a new zinc penny, if I see a 177-178 i can expect a screw cap. A 144-145 I can bet it is a nickle if it has that nice smooth tone to it, but some of the war nickles will read as high as 151, but have that smooth tone of a nickle. Myself I couldn't do this with the 550 meter on my XS2 and after 3 weeks I sold it and put on a Sun Ray 180 meter.