Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GT on a ploughed field :ukflag:

hydraglide

:Went to a detecting rally today, area with Roman,Saxon, Celtic etc The Sovereign is the only detector I own now because living near the coast I just do the beaches. I thought Id try a inland rally, within 5 minutes I decided it was a bad move, so much iron, almost every sweep, constant nulling, id guess 98% of the time I was waiting for the GT to recover,I tried adjusting settings, but short of using AM and driving myself nuts, I decided to abandon the rally and come home.Disapointed, but I knew it may happen.:rolleyes:

I been using my Sovereign in farm fields 5 years now when it null,s because of a iron target just keep swinging when the coil comes over another target reguardless of what it is so what , there is no need to wait to get a good threshold again if the Sovereign hits a silver coin or a gold ring you will hear it believe me , just swing slow take your time the GT will find good targets in fields with tons of iron , if you hear in your head phones a null and a beep it,s either 1 of 2 things a very deep coin or a good target next to iron those targets i always dig . Good luck and take your time . Jim

deepdiger60 said:
I been using my Sovereign in farm fields 5 years now when it null,s because of a iron target just keep swinging when the coil comes over another target reguardless of what it is so what , there is no need to wait to get a good threshold again if the Sovereign hits a silver coin or a gold ring you will hear it believe me , just swing slow take your time the GT will find good targets in fields with tons of iron , if you hear in your head phones a null and a beep it,s either 1 of 2 things a very deep coin or a good target next to iron those targets i always dig . Good luck and take your time . Jim

the sov can also give a high tone coming off a larger iron target. sizing is important here.
good post Jim:thumbup:

Thanks for relies, the problem I had was it hulled every swing, the field was absolutely infested with iron, I thought that when the Sov was in 'null' it wasn't actually detecting and you have to wait for the threshold to come back. Down the beach this isn't a problem but on this field it was.

I find that in most places I detect on land which I do 99.9% of the time the Sovereign is always nulling and changing the tones as I swing the coil. Some places real bad with iron I just lower the sensitivity and swing a little slower and listen close to the tone changes, you can swing a Sovereign too fast, but never too slow. I have used my Sovereigns in places other detectors have given up on.
I used my Explorer XS at a beach out East in NJ one time and though it didn't work as it was not nulling, just a solid threshold, but when it did get a signal it was loud.This tells me that on land it will null more and have to swing slower compared to the water hunting.

Rick

hydraglide said:
Thanks for relies, the problem I had was it hulled every swing, the field was absolutely infested with iron, I thought that when the Sov was in 'null' it wasn't actually detecting and you have to wait for the threshold to come back. Down the beach this isn't a problem but on this field it was.

try this simple test. you can do it on top of the ground or bury the two objects, doesnt matter. put a rusted bottle cap or bolt/nail on the ground and about 5" away put a dime or any coin. when you swing your detector, swing over the nail first, before you hit center of the coil the detectors threshold dissappears, it nulls, but continue swinging and you will see that even with no threshold you will get a response from the coin.
Any object that is being discriminated out will cause a loss of threshold. If you raise your disc above where a nickel hits and try the same test, replacing the nail with a nickel, you will get the same results. The loss of threshold is just a response to the disc setting. The sovereign has a high bias for iron, thats why at 0 disc you still have loss of threshold or nulling over smaller iron.
the reason people recommend slowing down when you loose a threshold is simply the detector reset speed. you should also slow down when your getting other hits as well, not just nulls. and you should be swinging slow to begin with:minelab:

Thanks for that Neil, I dint know that. Il try a test like you suggest, this was the first time I've tried my GT on a ploughed field. Probably be quite a while before I do again. The digging was tough too, made me appreciate the beach a bit more.

Beach diggings a whole lot easier and you can fill the holes with your feet:biggrin:

Most of my hunting is done on beaches.

I tried the test you suggested Neil, and yes it did null out,but still picked up a 5p piece (our smallest coin) so maybe I baled too quick, but hey,I know for the future.thanks again.