Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GT out for second repair

midalake

TROLL
So I have been detecting for many years and do not post much but am bothered by GT service. For those who follow me, know I hunt only salt water and at my condo in Mexico. In July I was running my GT when I heard a crackling sound and electric smell. Shut my unit down and brought it back for repair. I got it back finally in November "tested ok" Well alI my gear is in Mexico so I could not test it.
Hooked the machine up in early January on return and didn't think it was working quite right,almost like i was getting falsing/black sand sounds [at times] worked the machine for two days at 3hr's per day. On the third day turned the machine on and nothing but weee-whoo solid threshold. Went back and got my other box and hunted till I returned this week.
When the box went down I called Kellyco to document what happened and told them when I would return. Sent the box back on Monday and one of the tech's asked if it was not working correctly why was it not back sooner [explained all of the above [again] , this person actually does the testing after repair. So guess at this point I am disappointed, and hopefully the $175 I spent the first time will not have to increase.Will keep all posted......hope the service crew at Kellyco comes through......

Dave

Well not a good start! I rarely get upset these days but Monday Kellyco will be getting a call. After two nice phone conversations, and two email attempts on Friday, it seems like my detector did not go to the top of the list as promised. Since Wednesday they have had the GT.....and nothing but crickets so far. If anyone has a higher person in command to talk to there I would appreciate a name........The first time around too, two calls to repair.....no follow-up then a phone call to say my detector was done with a $175 dollar charge.......so much for calling me and outlining what was wrong and letting me make the decision.

Dave

Dave..... you may not be aware but Barry who runs the shop passed away last week. They are behind and trying to catch up. Dave his brother has or will be stepping in to get the detectors out while they find a new Tech. Barry was a NASA guy........ so he isnt going to be easily replaced fast. Might want to have a little patience in this case.

Dew

unaware.............Through out many years of reading many people had praise for him..........sad to hear the community lost a good one. On a brighter note I did receive an email from repair today........my machine might hit the bench on Monday............

Dave

Midalake, as Dew said the main tech passed away, his services was on Monday. Sending yours to front of line only means it is treated as warranty work, warranty is worked first, they did not tell you yours would be next one worked on, only that it would go to front of the line with other warranty work.

If they have to stop working to call every person who has detector in for repair to give them a status report they would never get any repairs done, I was in theur shop Friday and there were over 75 detectors in for repair work..

Anyone can refuse the work performedif they wish......

treasure_hunter said:
Midalake, as Dew said the main tech passed away, his services was on Monday. Sending yours to front of line only means it is treated as warranty work, warranty is worked first, they did not tell you yours would be next one worked on, only that it would go to front of the line with other warranty work.

If they have to stop working to call every person who has detector in for repair to give them a status report they would never get any repairs done, I was in theur shop Friday and there were over 75 detectors in for repair work..

Yes OK..........The getting back to their customer with cost of repairs was "their rule"........So it did not happen.
In my world no one does work for me without knowing the cost of repair.........your world may be different. FYI the last time my detector was in for service was at Minelab in Las Vegas..........over the top service. Which I understand is a thing in the past now.

Dave

midalake said:
treasure_hunter said:

Yes OK..........The getting back to their customer with cost of repairs was "their rule"........So it did not happen.
In my world no one does work for me without knowing the cost of repair.........your world may be different. FYI the last time my detector was in for service was at Minelab in Las Vegas..........over the top service. Which I understand is a thing in the past now.

Dave

Where is that "rule" posted? What they usually do is fix what customer reports as the issue unless the cost is high then they call, if their customer requests a call before repairs are made they will call. If repair is low cost they will just fix the detector, the $175 for your previous Sov GT repair would not have justified calling unless you had stated in your note with detector ship to call first....You can always refuse the repair in which case they will remove the repairs and you only owe the diag fee of $37.50 and return shipping costs.

Wow... RIP Barry.
He fixed both my Sovs.

Seems to me a call to the customer with the info and an estimate should be mandatory. There has to be someone there that can do that. Much like a service writer in a auto repair shop. If a customer isn't told how much a repair is going to cost and the repair is already done then undoing the repair means you have twice the labor in the job that you aren't going to get back. And as far as them determining what price is OK or not for the customer is kinda backwards. The customer should know up front what it's going to cost. I have one there now but I was told how much mine would cost over the phone and I'm OK with that. Now if I get a call saying it's done and the price is off there had better be a phone call before hand. I'm a service manager at foreign car shop, also a technician. I have to call every customer with an estimate before anything gets done. It's called customer service. Lacking in our world these days. I'm sure the guys and gals down there will get it right. Might just take some time. That's why I have a back up and a back up for that one.

I look at it a little different as I used to do TV repair and in some cases only way to know what it will take to repair it as to replace the part or parts. Now you have to make sure that there is not other parts that has to be replaced so you have to repair it to see what the cost will be. Now if someone just wanted their VCR head clean we know what that would cost and give a price, I am sure this is with car repair shop are too between a brake job and figuring out why the motor act up at time and not other times. This is why it is hard to give a estimate on a problem unit until the unit it repaired, if it is starting to take more parts and labor than it is worth then I say the customer should be called and told what it could cost if they want it repaired. If it is a reasonable repair than it should be repaired and the customer called to let them know it is repaired. then give a estimate as it has been repaired and if they don't think it is fair than they can pay the labor to check it out and take their parts out.
I had a used Sovereign I got from another dealer and when I got it I found out it didn't work, so was told to send it to Minelab and send the bill to the dealer. They got the Sovereign and I was called and said the circuit board was bad and the cost was too much to repair, so they ask if another used control box they had repaired would be OK , said fine with me as it was a lot cheaper than repairing the one I sent in.

Just my 2 cent worth.
Rick

Vegas??? Did ML have a shop in Vegas? When our stuff breaks no one likes the bill or waiting so everything puts ya on edge. Barry was OUTSTANDING to me...... i aways knew the cost.... and he always said unless there is something else they found when going over it. I used to tell people that all the time as a plumber looking at a wet wall. BUT they do go over the machine for obvious reasons. We squeal like a cat whose tail just got stepped on if they replace a coil as WE requested but get it back with the same problem........ we arent very good techs so i give um my opinion and they do the diagnosis and repair. Seems to work out better that away. Who ever replaces Barry has got some big shoes to fill IMO.

Dew

that there is nothing they can find wrong? So I most certainly believe them. But I am speechless as there was nothing I could do to change the constant wailing threshold I had. Maybe one of the suitcase handlers gave it the right smack on the trip home.....Well off to Mexico soon, and time will tell...........

Dave

I was going to mention it before, but it does sound like a low battery voltage, so I would make sure the battery is fully charged or if you have the alkaline pack make sure you put new batteries in it and not rechargeable in the alkaline pack as they don't have enough voltage for the Sovereign.

Sure hope it take care of the problem.

Rick

Ahhhh......NO, Hunted with the same battery pack in my second box that same day for over 3 hours............I hope it does not do it again....thats all............

Dave

I had a similar issue with mine, after it was dropped. Luckily it was repaired.

Just a thought...Have you tried moving the jumper inside to Silent Mode?

Auriemma said:
I had a similar issue with mine, after it was dropped. Luckily it was repaired.

Just a thought...Have you tried moving the jumper inside to Silent Mode?

I am two fingers when it comes to electronics. I have never opened any of my boxes and past experience tells me not to open one. Heading out to run it soon, time will tell.

Dave