Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

gt sov today

A

Anonymous

I had the gt sov out today the weather in the 60's and plenty sunshine.
I went to a local park to detect and do a little testing to compare with my other detectors.
In a place where the advantage out does my other detectors I wanted to compare the gt sov.
Now I admit I have a few years experience with the advantage and a newbie with the sov type detector.
I buried a test dime and covered it up and packed down the dirt.
In this place doing the same thing I can hit the dime at 8 inches max with the advantage with the 7-1/4" coil , with my cz70 and 8 inch coil 7 inches deep and the gt and 10 inch coil 10 inches deep.
I could not get the gt sov to go deeper in all metal mode but got a faint threshold change over the target. The discriminate signal was much stronger and diggable type of signal. I tried gb and sensitivity adjustments and whatever I could to have the all metal mode outdo the discriminate mode but it woudn't happen this time.
A buried nickel 8 inches was the max in this spot with the gt. Faint signal all metal mode and stronger with discriminate mode.
I have tested this sov on the highest value carrot wise gold I have and that is 22k arab gold ring and other 22k jewlery, plus a 1/4 eagle and 1/2 eagle and get good responses with these targets laying on top of the ground and at 7 to 8 inches distance.
the sound is in the tin foil area.
Today I was able to tell the differences on the pull tabs and coins just by sounds they make . Even dug a nickel by sound and could tell it was not a pulltab.
I think I'll put this sov in the corner along with the cz, and advantage as far as depth goes as they seem fairly similar so far. But as far as finding goodies in iron I think the sov is going to have the edge. Today again I got one of those blipper signals it took me about 3 minutes or so stepping around it and swinging from different angles of approach and finally digging it , and dug a penny and iron nut up together.
The penny was a wheat back. I am starting to get some confidence in it and it takes a little getting use to. But not as tough as I expected.
HH
Dan R.

You're doing a good job learning it.
Watch those fresh buried coin tests. Unexpected things can happen. You have a disturbed matrix and no halo. If you want to make comparisons, do it on real targets........really weak ones.
Use something to mark them with, then go back after you get a few marked and make your comparisons.
Keep it up. Learning by sound will make you less meter dependent if you choose to get one.
HH

Did you use Silent Search Disc? and, if you did, did you notice any loss of depth? I am going out with my new GT tomorrow, at the beach and I like to hunt in Silence, except for targets and then I listen close to what the Sov says. I hope it doesn't lose any depth in Disc. Some have suggested that it gets better depth in Disc. I would love that!
Swing speed- Did you find you could swing it a little faster than the older Sov? The recovery time is supposed to be better. I'll let you know how mine does at the beach here in San Diego.
Bill

I have been checking it in both discriminate and all metal modes.
In some places I could get better depth in all metal mode and other places like today the discriminate mode had stronger signals.
I used both silent and threshold and did not see any difference in signals as far as strength of target signals , I had switched both into threshold and silent and any target signals sounded the same.
The extra depth I got at times in all metal mode was real deep and faint sounding changes in the threshold sound. Other wise for the most part regular signals , that is the beep beep type signals sound pretty much the same in all metal or discriminate modes.
with the exception of today especially getting a little harder hits in discriminate mode.
you might get better info from Mike Virginia about beach hunting with a sov. from what I have read about sov's . I don't think the gt is going to be much different then at least the elite as far as discriminate mode. The all metal mode with auto tracking the other sov's don't have so may be more effective off the beaches. And on the beaches about the same as other sov's in all metal mode.
If I was going to the beach with mine I would not worry about how good it goes discriminate mode compared to all metal mode. I just would have a great day trying both modes and diggin up all the goodies.
HH
Dan R.

You mentioned hunting in silent discriminate mode.
that sounds pretty good.
If I was to hunt that way I believe at the beach I would dig every thing the detector made even a peep on.
I noticed either in threshold or silent mode some of the odd blips where signals mixed with iron targets and I noticed this because of using threshold. With the silent thing just the odd signal and that was it , although I still could hear a faint threshold and that probably would be silent at the beach and surf noise . But I have the volume turned up a lot.
HH
Dan R.

Dan,
I have always found that disc seems to go deeper for me on all the Sovereigns I have used. Now the GT may be differnt with the ground tracking. I also find that once you know your Sovereign you may see on the real deep ones that you may not hear them in the silent search mode as the threshold may only change slighlty letting you know it seen a target. In the silent search mode you will not hear them. I feel as you use the GT more and get to understand it you may see this.
Rick