Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTAx 1250 and coils

A

Anonymous

I have been running the 1250 with the 10X14DD coil. It took some time to get use to pinpointing with it but I have overcome that. Other people that are using this coil, do you find misleading readings as far as depth? I dug a soda can up that said 4" at about 14" on a beach the other day. I hit bottle caps, that say that they are a penny. I see old pennys that ID as one notch below a reg current penny. I'm digging steel or iron - old farm implement parts up that ID as 50 cents or a dollar.
I read alot about people who rely too much on discrimination and miss rings etc. I hunt pretty trashy areas, should I be digging everything I hit or what? What do most of you hunt in for a setting? Coin mode or all or relic? Thanks for the help.

First, the soda cans will almost always give you a false depth, no matter the coil. Second, the DD's love the bottlecaps, thinks they are quarters on mine. Third, large rusty items will signal like a good target,no matter the coil, but if you listen to the pinpoint, you can tell it is a large something. A coin sized object will have a small area that it will sound off on and a large item, well, a large area. Thats how I tell coin sized from large rusty chunks.
Now for hunting trashy areas with no mineralization, get yourself a Garrett 4 1/2 in coil. They excel in the trash. Good target seperation and light to swing.
HH

John, I have the 4 1/2 coil, just takes tooooooo long to work an area and I get frustrated. In this world of instant, I am the guy with the 3 meg internet connection and when they offer a faster one I will be in line.
I have the 8 in coil too. Yes the DD is very heavy swung it for 4 hours today and feel it in my forearm.
I dug lots of bottle caps again and had readings of anything from penny to 50 cent for ID.
I hit a cash or sorts today, it was fun and kind of wild and was just wishing that it would stop at a certain point.
Went to one of the cities oldest parks. Started at a drinking fountain and half way around hit a penny target. I dug it up and then I would usually be done. Someone on this site, that I just read this morning said alway check the hole just incase you have another coin in the same hole. Never done that before so the first time that I try I get another coin, and another and another and ....... <STRONG>28, coins later I had a hole about 14 or 16" long and 8" wide. Mostly pennys and two dimes and a nickel. Wild ride for all clad and not a one wheat head. I went on to find 15 more coins in the park. All current stuff - nothing old at all. I was hunting around a pavillian. I know that the dectector works, I just have to find better places to hunt.</STRONG>

DD coils do not discriminate nearly as well as a concentric so you are going to run up against all you describe, and they love bottlecaps. Best way to pinpoint is to center the target side to side then drag the coil straight back till the instant the signal stops. The target will be right under the center of the front tip of the coil. With a little practice it will be 99% accurate.
Bill