Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GTI 2500 and Monte's Nail Board Test

lloyd0161

OK, I don't have the know how to post a video but in my opinion my GTI has passed this test using the 9.5" imaging coil with flying colors. My wife will attest to the results as I explained what I was doing and observing while she looked bored and uninterested sitting on our patio and watching. Nothing like a captive audience. I got the usual remarks about how silly I looked.

Laying the appropriate nails on an 8.5" x 11" image of the nail board and using a wheat penny I set up for the test. I don't have any more Indian heads...yet. My kids spent all of my previous finds including numerous silver on candy one day at the local party store. Of course they are my much loved children and must be forgiven.

I first scanned the nail board without the penny and got the iron just fine in all metal discriminate mode. I am generally running with sensitivity of 9 and with belltone and bi-tone active. The nails all ID'd at the very bottom of the iron ID perfectly and the image showed a larger than coin sized object fairly consistently.

Next I placed the penny in the number one position on the nail board and was able to get a tone and ID which was in the foil to nickel range while sweeping from all directions. Now you may be saying that this is not good. But it is actually excellent results as you can still get the iron to ID correctly on the fringes of the nail board and then have the ID jump up a bit to show a difference by being in the nickel to foil range. I now have a solution for copper and thin silver dime sized coins in iron.

I then wondered if the test I saw on YouTube using the Tesoro Tejon had been checked by turning the disc up above iron. I would bet that the penny would have dropped out somewhere between iron and penny and likely comparable results to an ID machine. Many folks think that an ID machine should ID correctly for the particular metal being detected. In fact this becomes and average of the two metals in close proximity. Learning to understand this and testing is the key to success.

In position 2 on Monte's nail board I got the same results. This is awesome knowledge as I have passed up a lot of targets in Iron that were slightly jumpy from iron to foil range that I passed up. Now I can go back and will likely find a few coins I missed.

Trying this with a silver quarter was very different. The quarter rang in loud and clear as quarter in all but one direction which rang in just below penny. I repeated this in position two with the same results. Since I had belltone on my wife made note of the difference in tone. I then explained that it was saying there was a coin.

I will also note that the imaging worked in most cases by indicating a coins sized object while over the penny. This appears to be normal when sweeping over iron with a coin in close proximity. It does not work on every sweep but if you see enough of coin sized imaging then there is a good chance it is a coin.

All in all this has been a confidence builder for me and my GTI 2500. I have owned and used many higher end detectors over the lat 10 years and this detector is so far my favorite. I am looking forward to getting hold of an 5 x 10 DD scorcher coil and testing again. The nail board test is good for the community as it offers a fairly consistent standardized test for everyone to compare results. If you do run this test on your detector start out but running in all metal disc or even true all metal if your detector can also ID in true all metal like the GTI 2500.

I will also add that I tested the response not only down low but raised the coil up to roughly 6 to 8 inches and the results did not change. Interestingly the nails appear to help the imaging of the coin sized object as it will image out to 8 inches whereas the normal limit is 6 to 7 inches without the cone shaped image indicating a deeper coin sized target or maybe larger.

Unfortunately Monte is scholar when it comes to the hobby but put all the nails in the ground for 100yrs or so and all bets off.....

Dan-Pa. said:
Unfortunately Monte is scholar when it comes to the hobby but put all the nails in the ground for 100yrs or so and all bets off.....

At that point you won't have to worry about the nails, they'll be gone!!!